Uneven toilet flange grouted to floor and cemented to pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Wibbet

Reaction score
I needed to fix this toilet that was leaking from the bottom. i took off the toilet revealing a destroyed wax ring, then scraped it away to find this mess. I don't have the tools to cut the flange or pipe, and don't have money to call a professional. What do I do?
IMG_20160610_121636037.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It is not clear from the photo that there is a problem with the toilet flange.

Could it be there is a problem with the toilet? When you had the leak, had you been doing some plunging, or was a flush enough to cause a leak to the floor?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have a lead bend with brass flange.
The lead comes through the brass flange and is bent over it.
A single wax ring works on those. If the bowl moves, it breaks the seal. It's important to have the bowl secured. We will often install a repair ring over that to securely hold new closet bolts to hold the bowl in place. We then use a clear caulk around most of the bowl to further stick it to the floor.
We don't use Silicone, but a water based caulk that allows future removal.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you have a leak, it may also be because you have a small backup in the line. A significant leak is not likely to be a flange/ring issue. You should be able to position the toilet over the hole and flush it, with no wax ring, and have virtually no leakage. The wax ring is primarily there to keep out sewer gas; it is not a joint that will resist a lot of flowing water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks