Two dishwashers one drain-no disposal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by candinr, May 27, 2020.

1. candinr

candinr New Member

Because our old sink cracked, we're having to replace it, possibly with a one bowl design. My question is, is there a good way to hook two dishwashers to one drain without a disposal? I've seen one suggestion to maybe, possibly use two wye pieces but our p-trap isn't low enough in the wall for that and I don't want to spend $400 to have it lowered. Also, I read that the drain should be increased to at least 2". From what I can find, there isn't. Thanks!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. candinr

candinr New Member

We have 2 high loops that works fine. I'm not a professional by any means but what does the air gap have to do with the water draining into one drain vs the 2 like it is now?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The dual air-gap takes two dishwasher drains and combines them into one. The 7/8" hose from the air-gap can then go to a single drain below the sink or to a disposer.

[​IMG]

Like this except they also make a dual-air-gap that combines two drains into one.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  6. candinr

candinr New Member

Thank you for the info guys. I always thought the air gap was just for venting, like you would vent a sink drain. From what I read water should only flow out of the air gap if there is a clog, correct? and if I were to run both dishwashers at the same time (which we rarely do) the water will drain properly? I just want to make sure we're making the right decision if we have to end up with a single bowl sink. I'm making a big deal out of this because we're having to get a custom sink, paid for by our cracked sink's manufacturer (IKEA) because the dimensions are not standard and the sink is no longer available. Thanks again.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.

Downside is you have to drill a hole for the air gap if there is not one already. If you are having holes drilled, sometimes people will have a hole for a reverse osmosis or filtered drinking water dispenser. Some even have a hole for a soap dispenser.

The purpose of the air gap is that if there became a vacuum in the supply pipe, there is no way that drain water could be sucked into the potable water or the dishwasher.

8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The air gap is to prevent the sink water from entering the dishwasher.
    A friend of mine had this problem where after a few days the bottom of her dishwasher had dark murky water sitting there. Being a single person household, it would be days before the dishwasher would be used. I added an air-gap and after that her dishwasher stayed clean.