Two dishwashers one drain-no disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

candinr

Reaction score
Because our old sink cracked, we're having to replace it, possibly with a one bowl design. My question is, is there a good way to hook two dishwashers to one drain without a disposal? I've seen one suggestion to maybe, possibly use two wye pieces but our p-trap isn't low enough in the wall for that and I don't want to spend $400 to have it lowered. Also, I read that the drain should be increased to at least 2". From what I can find, there isn't. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You said a good way. https://airgap.com/product/ag200-004/
Good way would imply an air gap. :D

air-gap-dual-2.jpg

Two inputs, one output.

Last edited by a moderator:

candinr

Reaction score
We have 2 high loops that works fine. I'm not a professional by any means but what does the air gap have to do with the water draining into one drain vs the 2 like it is now?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The dual air-gap takes two dishwasher drains and combines them into one. The 7/8" hose from the air-gap can then go to a single drain below the sink or to a disposer.

sink_dw.jpg

Like this except they also make a dual-air-gap that combines two drains into one.

Last edited:

candinr

Reaction score
Thank you for the info guys. I always thought the air gap was just for venting, like you would vent a sink drain. From what I read water should only flow out of the air gap if there is a clog, correct? and if I were to run both dishwashers at the same time (which we rarely do) the water will drain properly? I just want to make sure we're making the right decision if we have to end up with a single bowl sink. I'm making a big deal out of this because we're having to get a custom sink, paid for by our cracked sink's manufacturer (IKEA) because the dimensions are not standard and the sink is no longer available. Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes and yes.

Downside is you have to drill a hole for the air gap if there is not one already. If you are having holes drilled, sometimes people will have a hole for a reverse osmosis or filtered drinking water dispenser. Some even have a hole for a soap dispenser.

The purpose of the air gap is that if there became a vacuum in the supply pipe, there is no way that drain water could be sucked into the potable water or the dishwasher.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The air gap is to prevent the sink water from entering the dishwasher.
A friend of mine had this problem where after a few days the bottom of her dishwasher had dark murky water sitting there. Being a single person household, it would be days before the dishwasher would be used. I added an air-gap and after that her dishwasher stayed clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks