Tub/Shower Drywall installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Shutterbugguy

Reaction score
I am installing drywall in the new bathroom. The acrylic Tub/Shower unit is typical 30" x 60" with a 70" side wall (one piece). One side is installed against a 2x4 wall like this:
Asset 1.png

On the end of this 2x4 wall, do I need to cut a 4-1/2" piece of drywall before putting on corner bead on the two corners? Or can I just install the corner bead onto the flat 2x4, and then mud between the two corner beads? Will joint compound adhere to the wood or do I need a piece of drywall there?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A one piece tub shower is not usually installed against dry wall the drywall goes around the tub /shower.
No idea what any of your question is talking about muddng in 4 1/2 inches ? not following that at all but that is a uncommon sloppy hack way if you need drywall put dry wall , tape and mud. Sorry if this doesent answer question

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Need might be a strong word, but most people would put a strip of drywall there.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If its getting covered with the surround you could fill it with mud or a strip of plywood just for backing if you dont want to buy more drywall

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks