Tub Drain to Shower Drain conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Good evening,

In the middle of a master bathroom remodel. We are converting the tub space into a walk in shower. Tonight I wanted to see how the plumbing was connected and before I head to the store I would like to see if someone can point me in the right direction. A Schluter shower pan will be used and I have to extend the drain out just tad to make the shower pan work.

There is a dry vent stack directly behind behind my toilet and the pipe coming in from the right is tied into this venting. As you can see the plumbers installed a 90, p-trap then up to the floor. What couplings/connections would I need to extend into the middle of the floor 7 inches?

IMG_3405.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Would be it as easy as turning the 90 coupling towards the middle of the slab, running 2 inch pipe to desired length, add p-trap and pipe up? Want to make sure I'm low enough to accommodate the Schluter flange sitting on top of the shower pan.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Which one would be correct for the shower drain? First thumbnail there would be a street 90 coming off the vent into a 90, 2 inch pipe then into the p trap which the schluter flange would sit in.

Second thumbnail would be me tapping into my 2 inch p trap in the OP, extending the pipe, 90 up into the flange.

Believe the second option would be a running p trap which I believe is not right. First option seems okay but the 90 coming off the street 90 doesn’t make sense.

Any ideas?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can get shower pans with left or right hand drains.

mustee-3060-showertub.jpg

andrea-shower-01.jpg

Or you can break concrete and center the drain.
The bathroom above has the drain where the tub drain would have been.

index.php

Here is a shower with a lineal drain located at the left wall side.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Thanks for the references Terry. I'm using the Schluter shower pan and it requires the drain to be out around 9 to 10 inches with my current set up only being 4 inches. We do have the off-center shower pan on its way. The lineal drains are really nice, but rather expensive when using the Schluter system.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
So first thumbnail in post #3...is it okay to have a street 90 coming off the vent pipe into another 90?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So first thumbnail in post #3...is it okay to have a street 90 coming off the vent pipe into another 90?

That isn't even a waste fitting. That's for water under pressure.
The drain from the vent behind the toilet can raise 1/4" per foot. So at four feet, it could gain one inch.
That means no fittings to raise it higher. You can change direction horizontally with a 45 or a long 90.

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
That isn't even a waste fitting. That's for water under pressure.
The drain from the vent behind the toilet can raise 1/4" per foot. So at four feet, it could gain one inch.
That means no fittings to raise it higher. You can change direction horizontally with a 45 or a long 90.

Sorry not understanding. I don't want to raise the shower drain any higher just want to extend it so the p-trap is under neath the Schluter shower pan flange. My original setup was for a tub. In my OP, thumbnail #1 is the shower drain in its current setup. If I were to cut it at the 90 what couplings would I need to extend it to meet my off center shower pan flange?

Matt_Towery

Reaction score
Makes sense. Can I keep the medium to long turn 90 the same direction the 90 is now in that picture? My only worry about turning it horizontal to the slab is keeping the drain low enough because the Schluter shower flange is rather long and don't want an issue during install. If I can keep it in the same direction what coupling would I connect to the medium or long turn 90?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks