TOTO Nexus 1.28gal - odd throat opening?

Users who are viewing this thread

BINTX

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Toto Nexus toilet, the 1.28gal model. I'm a little perplexed by the throat opening which has a trapezoidal appearance but looks unevenly shaped. Toto claims its within specs, what ever that means, its not like they measured anything. To me it looks like a deformed throat opening, I was surprised to see it on what I consider an expensive toilet.

Anyone else here see something like this on a Toto or other brand for that matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see it.
What is really interesting is to be at a factory where they make toilets to see what is involved. I was in Wisconsin at Kohler and what I noticed is how large everything is before it enters the kiln. They loose a lot of size as they dry out. It's clay that molded, and then filed into shape and sanded. They are very much done by hand.
I never see any two toilets that are exactly alike.

BINTX

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I didn't realize they were made by hand like that. This one appears to be made in Thailand, as I understand it Toto had different models manufactured in different locations.

I can understand some variances I just expected a bit more uniformity out of what I thought was a higher end brand. I don't think it would have an effect on performance but it looks a bit odd and stood out to me. The online seller I purchased it from offered to replace it even though Toto wouldn't call it defective. There were some other issues with a water stain on the bottom, it was obviously unpackaged and set on a wet surface at some point. Looking forward to replacing one of the 2003 builder grade toilets when the new bowl arrives.