Toto Drake questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Jasperjake

Reaction score
Hi All,

I purchased a Toto Drake Model number, CST776CSFG#01, from an online delaer, plumbing online.ca. I ordered the 1.6 GPF because I have had problems with low flush toilets in the past. After setting the toilet I noticed it rocked despite the tiled floor being flat. I pulled the toilet and checked the bottom with a straight edge. There are what appear to be stiffening webs that into the bottom of the bowl and one of these webs was "high". I can grind this high spot down and I suspect this will fix the rock, but is this somewhat common on these toilets? I might expect this on cheaper toilets but not on a somewhat expensive Toto. Additionaly, I am wondering about the model number, Since I ordered the the 1.6GPF model, I was surprised to see the bottom of the bowl marked C776CEF, and not C776CSF. Are all the bowls essentially the same. The tank is indeed marked as 1.6GPF. I don't mean to obsess about the toilet, but after finding I had to pull it and now grind it down, I am perhaps a little sceptical that I got sent a return.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
all china can have problems regardless of the brand. Toto is not a special brand, just a corporate conglomerate pumping out average quality products. Toto was innovative and got a good glow from early to the market engineering decades ago...that is in the past.
We do grind occasionally but often and always expect to use hard plastic shims when necessary.
FYI, 1.28 GPF toilets that flush 1,000 grams based on MaP testing are just as good as a 1.6 GPF.

Jasperjake

Reaction score
all china can have problems regardless of the brand. Toto is not a special brand, just a corporate conglomerate pumping out average quality products. Toto was innovative and got a good glow from early to the market engineering decades ago...that is in the past.
We do grind occasionally but often and always expect to use hard plastic shims when necessary.
FYI, 1.28 GPF toilets that flush 1,000 grams based on MaP testing are just as good as a 1.6 GPF.
Thanks for the repy. After grinding down the wings under the toilet, I see the perimeter of the bowl is not flat either. The toilet esentially rests on only the front and back (2 points) so no surprise it rocks. I will grind these spots a little and shim as needed as you suggest. I suppose I can use silicone caulk to fill in low spots?

Peterson

Reaction score
If you have to go to the trouble of grinding down imperfections on the bowl, I'd send it back. That's not acceptable.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the amount of rock? Needing to use shims is normal.

Shims should be positioned without wax. Make sure the toilet will not rock. Lift the toilet. Drop the wax. Drop the toilet.

rest_in_pasta

Reaction score
all china can have problems regardless of the brand. Toto is not a special brand, just a corporate conglomerate pumping out average quality products.
Just out of curiosity, which brand has above average quality products when you say Toto's stuff is just "average"? Are we talking about one product line (i.e., toilets vs tubs)?

FeCuPEX

Reaction score
Curious if you did return it as defective.
Too, wondering which brands (and even models) qualify as above average.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks