Toto drain valve replaces flapper- poor flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I just replaced the flush valve on a Toto Bristol (1-piece) toilet with the new drain valve they recommend. Easy to replace, and I am no longer losing water from the tank. BUT, the toilet does not flush completely. Is there some way to adjust the flush tower part of the drain valve so that is stays open longer- and thereby giving more water into the bowl for the flush?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Three things to check:
- where is the water level in the tank - it should be about 1/2" or so below the overflow tube
- note the water level in the bowl...slowly add water to it. If it rises AND stays there after a delay, you need to adjust things.
- the hose is properly directed into the overflow tube

Both the bowl and the tank need to start out at their proper levels. Some replacement valves have adjusters to balance the tank/bowl fill levels. If that is not done, the toilet will either be wasting water if it's feeding excessive water to the bowl (probably not your situation), or not flush right if it's not full to start with.

There is a hose on the fill valve...it must be directed into the overflow tube and be held above it, not pushed down into the tube. That is what fills the bowl. On some replacement fill valves, they come with a valve to adjust the balance going to the bowl versus filling the tank that must be adjusted.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
NOTE: I completely missed the fact that you are working on a Bristol. I'm totally wrong about suggesting the Korky replacement, because it's not for a one-piece. I will leave the comments below in case somebody with a two-piece has a similar issue.

You shouldn't need more water to accomplish the old flush. Jim is right that you need to make sure you're starting with the right amount of water in the bowl. Refill hose is a likely source of the problem.

If you DO have everything set up correctly and you feel like you need more water in the flush, go back to the old flush valve, either with a Toto, unnecessarily-expensive, or this Korky: https://www.korky.com/products/flus...ts/large-3-4-flush-valve-tank-bowl-gasket-kit

Available in a lot of places. Korky makes flappers and fill valves for Toto, here in America, in Wisconsin. The flapper on that valve is adjustable, so if you need to you can adjust it to stay open longer.

Korky sent me a sample of this kit a few years ago, and it works as advertised.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto-flush-tower-install-1.jpg

These come in 1.6 gallons and 1.28 gallons.

toto-flush-tower-install-2.jpg

toto-flush-tower-install-3.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I just replaced the flush valve on a Toto Bristol (1-piece) toilet with the new drain valve they recommend. Easy to replace, and I am no longer losing water from the tank. BUT, the toilet does not flush completely. Is there some way to adjust the flush tower part of the drain valve so that is stays open longer- and thereby giving more water into the bowl for the flush?
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....hold-the-flush-lever.56174/page-2#post-572235
#36 and #34.

THU460.15E-A is the tower assembly for Bristol, and should be 1.6 gpf.

Reaction score
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....hold-the-flush-lever.56174/page-2#post-572235
#36 and #34.

THU460.15E-A is the tower assembly for Bristol, and should be 1.6 gpf.

Thank you! I knew there had to be an adjustment somewhere on the flush tower. Oops, I take it back. My flush tower part does not have this adjustment option at all. So I have adjusted the fill valve so more water goes into the tank. This seems to have worked, as the flush tower floats on the water level a bit longer before closing. Not sure how much water this is using, but at least now it does flush consistently.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto-flush-tower-adjust-1.jpg

A flat blade screwdriver helps to push down the tab and lets you rotate out the pin to move it up or down to a different setting.

toto-flush-tower-adjust-2.jpg

Plumbstar

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the same toilet. Fill valve is set perfect. Bowl refill is fine. Can't raise water level any higher due to tank lever height. Tried different flush tower settings. Tower just closes too soon. Had to go back to old style flush valve.
I use the new flush tower design on most Toto toilets. Much more reliable than the old 3" flapper. The old Toto flappers were always the weak spot with these toilets.
I use the flush towers to convert Toto Ultimate into Ultramax toilets. An easy repair that dramatically increases flushing performance. Goes from Power gravity flush to G-max. Toilet casting was the same. Only difference was flush valve. Toto made a fortune selling the Ultamax

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks