Toto Aquia CST414M leak

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by hotmetalguy, Jun 21, 2021.

1. hotmetalguy

hotmetalguy New Member

Our Toto CST414M started leaking through the ceiling of the room below. It was installed about 9 years ago. We can't tell how long it had been leaking, but not much of the ceiling seems to be affected. We pulled the toilet and discovered that the wax ring had not been properly compressed by the original installer, so it should have been leaking from the start, all over, but that was not the case. Installed new wax ring and wax ring extender, reassembled everything, and when flushed water just poured out of the ceiling below. This water now seems to be coming from the rough in connection, however. Is there some trick to assembling this particular toilet that I am missing? We can't find any information on this right angle rough in any place on the web. I have installed quite a few toilets in the past, but this one has me stumped.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021
  2. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    I heard they had problems with the Toto CST414M so they discontinued making it

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hotmetalguy

hotmetalguy New Member

what kind of problems?

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
  6. hotmetalguy

hotmetalguy New Member

I think my leak (it was a lot of water) was between the rough in and the bowl. Does that make any sense?

7. hotmetalguy

hotmetalguy New Member

Also, I followed the advice on the Jamie Love's Complete Toto Aquia installation instructions for this model: " I like to use some liquid soap on the rubber to help the bowl "slide" in." But when I called Toto to try and figure out what was going wrong, they said do not use the soap.