toto aquia and tile floors

Users who are viewing this thread

madjack

Reaction score
Oh one more unrelated question... I read on another forum that aquias are very difficult to install in bathrooms w/ tile floors. Have you all found this to be true? One poster even said to get a different model if you have tile floors!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the model, you have to drill a few holes through the tile. Depending on the tile, that can be a pain. WIth the right drill bit, it's no big deal. A 'conventional' toilet anchors only to the toilet flange, so no additional holes are required. Some Totos use an adapter on the flange, then actually anchor to other brackets you install. In actuality, this produces a better solution, since now you've got the thing anchored to the floor better.

This Old House installed one in the last month or so...you can probably watch that on-line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We install many Aquia toilets on tile floors.

Yes, it does take longer,

Yes, it looks great when it's done.

So.......what was his point?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem many folks have drilling tile or concrete is they try to use a conventional drill. Some use a masonery drill bit, but that is only marginally better. The best drill to use is a rotary hammer. These also use special bits and will go through tile and concrete like a knife through butter. Grizzly Industrial has the for $80 plus bits, but you can rent them for less than that. I do own one and while I sure don't use it everyday, it is a Godsend when I do need a hole in concrete. The will also drill steel and wood.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your tile is installed properly, a rotary hammer is probably okay. A safer bit is a diamond core bit. The key to one of those is to keep the bit wet. Some people make a little dam out of plumber's putty and fill it with a little water...keeps the bit cool and they last much longer. These bits are available at Lowes and on-line. The smaller sizes aren't very expensive in the scheme of things. Big ones, or professional grade ones can be quite expensive until you really need one, they can save a lot of time. Cut through concrete, stone, hard tile, nearly anything - diamonds are the hardest thing known to man.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks