Toto 14" Rough-In

Users who are viewing this thread

Sweeneyps

Reaction score
Replacing an existing Kohler 1984 vintage K4520.
Considering AS Cadet 3 2403 or 2568, or Toto Drake, UltraMax or Carlyle.
Can anyone tell me if the Kohler K4520 is a 12" Rough-in? I ask, because the tank is 4-1/2" from the wall, but if Kohler is 10", that would account for excess spacing? I am thinking if I use a 14" rough-in model, I can pull the new toilet closer to the wall.
Can I do 14" with Toto Drake, UltraMax or Carlyle?
Is the 14" rough-in going to improve or detract from the 12" flush performance? thanks

abak_carlyle.jpg

TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only bowls that can be pulled back toward the wall are the Toto models with the 14" Unift.

All others leave the bowl in the middle of the room, and use a thicker tank near the wall.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rough-in distance will have no effect on how the toilet flushes. In theory, one could put the flange in the middle of the bathroom and it would work just fine, obviously would look very odd.:D The only real problem with a 14" rough-in is that the choices of 14" toilets is limited. A 12" will leave an extra 2" space. As Terry suggests, the Toto toilets with the 14" Unifit can cut the space down. I would avoid the AS. There are frequent quality issues with them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The rough-in is measured from the center of the drain back to the finished wall (not counting the baseboard unless it is very tall). On most toilets, you can measure from the bolts holding the toilet to the flange to the wall, but that isn't always the case. The Carlyle uses Toto's Unifit adapter...the toilet comes with a 12" one, but you can buy either a 10 or 14" one to move the toilet to fit the rough-in you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks