Toilets won't flush

Users who are viewing this thread

George Wirth

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm sure that there is a thread that has already addressed this, but I couldn't find one per se. I have 2 bathrooms in my home and neither of them are flushing. All other drains seem to be working. When running my washing machine or running water down the kitchen sink, the toilet closest to them bubbles and drains to almost no water in that toilet. When I take a shower in the other bathroom, that toilet bubbles, but doesn't really drain. I can use a plunger for about 4 minutes and get what's in that toilet to clear. This is a 100 year old house that I rent. It is connected to city sewer. Not sure what other info is needed to deduce the problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It all depends on where the blockage is. Blockages often tend to be incomplete, and just slow things down. A toilet flushes a big plug of water all at once. Sinks, showers, etc., tend to do a smaller amount fairly continuously that might not back up.

George Wirth

Reaction score
It all depends on where the blockage is. Blockages often tend to be incomplete, and just slow things down. A toilet flushes a big plug of water all at once. Sinks, showers, etc., tend to do a smaller amount fairly continuously that might not back up.

Ok, so snake the main line towards the house?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
YOu might remove the toilet and snake from there. If you're lucky, you might clear it with a toilet auger and leaving it in place, but most of them only use a small head, and they aren't all that long and may only poke a hole in it, rather than loosen it up.

Using a big snake designed to clean a main line can be dangerous, and may be better left to a pro. Sometimes, a smaller one will break it apart and let it drain down the line, sometimes, it doesn't.

If it's something like tree roots, those are better left to a pro. But, then, you need to find how they got in and fix that, too, or it will just recur. Sometimes, it's good to pay someone to run a camera down the line to identify what the problem is. It could be the line collapsed, or has a belly, where that slows or stops the flow rather than a constant downslope, and the problem will recur.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks