Toilet won't stop running water

Users who are viewing this thread

chessimprov

Reaction score
I'm quite the amateur at this.
I replaced the flapper. I still seem to be having a problem of the tank no longer filling up with water. The pump still pumps out water, but I don't see where the water is going.

I could replace the pump, which may or may not be possible.

I could try to take a picture or video if that would help. I'm not sure if videos can be attached on this forum or not.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Show us what the upper inch of the overflow tube looks like. We would be looking at water height, and if there is something that can help water go down the overflow, even thou the top of the tube is higher than the water level.
2. Turn off the stop valve at the wall. What happens to the water level over time.

chessimprov

Reaction score
When I flush the toilet, sometimes it seems like the tank is not filling back up unless I shut off the main valve and then turn it on later on. Not sure what is going on.

I wonder if the pipe once I flush is slightly clogged up too and I don't know if that'd have an affect on the other parts of the toilet. I tried to clean the bowl today and a bit of urine came back out. So frustrating.

chessimprov-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chessimprov

Reaction score
Hey Terry, thank you for your reply! I cut the tube. That seems to have helped. But I still have the same problem. The bowl will only fill up a little bit more. Then it seems to get leaky again. Did I not cut the tube enough, need to try replacing the inside pump, or something else?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once the tank has filled as high as it can, shut the water off at the wall, then let things sit for awhile. If the water drains out of the tank, you need to figure out why. It could be the wrong flapper, or there's too long of a chain and it's getting caught underneath, holding it up so it can't seal, or there's some crud on the top of the hole the flapper is trying to seal, preventing that. Less likely, is a crack or hole somewhere, maybe in the overflow tube or the seat where the flapper goes. Last thing I can think of, the nut holding the flapper valve assembly to the tank is loose, or the gasket is shot. That's less likely.

chessimprov

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give you all an update. So I ended up trying to replace the gasket, and since I had to replace the gasket by lifting the top of the toilet from the base, I decided to replace the fill valve as well. The big screws that hold the top from the bottom were rotting away. One, I wasn't able to easily unscrew and I somehow got it off with a wrench I think? There was some tool you try after that which I didn't have and thankfully didn't have to go out and get as I had gone to the hardware store 3 times already and probably watched and re-watched 7-10 different YouTube videos on top of trying to look at this forum and talk to a friend and an acquaintance or two.

When I attempted to put everything back together, the place would've flooded. I had no one to help me and there was not shut off valve for the toilet. (I know it's common to have a shut off valve per water fixture, but this place is definitely not setup that way and I know what a shut off valve looks like.) I ended up having to call in a plumber to tighten and put everything in correctly and to add in shut in valves.

The plumber told me that the fill valve was shot with gunk inside and needed to be replaced, and that's the main reason it was doing what it was doing. The gasket was pretty dirty and might've been part of the problem as well. It's probably been 20 years for the toilet.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks