Toilet with a large base??

Users who are viewing this thread

bw61

Reaction score
We are remodeling a half bath with hardwood floors. The old toilet was a green 15-yr old Kohler that had a rather large base (10.5 x 21 in). The floor under it does not match anymore. We can try to refinish it (quote was high), but would rather just get a toilet that has a base as large as the one we pulled out. Any recommendations on how to find one? Nothing at HD/Lowes is big enough. Toilet performance is not critical since it is 99% #1's ;)

Petal

Reaction score
I believe I saw a thread here that mentioned the Toto Guinevere and Soiree both had large bases that were good for covering large areas. Gary was kind enough to direct me to the top left of the page where it says "toilet reviews"- from there you can click on Terry's Toto shopping and find the specs listed for them. Hope that helps!

soiree_angle.jpg

Toto Soiree

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipehacker

Reaction score
I used an Eljer Titan which has a large base. There are many on this forum with much more experience with toilets than I who would not recommend a Titan as their first choice but we have had no problems with ours.

titan_front2.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Eljer is now part of American (Mexican) Standard. The Titan is no longer made. As noted, Eljer and/or American Standard are not highly recommended toilets among users of this forum. Follow the links as mentioned and see the Specs on the Toto line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Actually, I think American Standard is making a version of their Champion 4 that is renamed Titan 4.

But to answer the question above, the Champion isn't likely to cover.
The Guinevere would have the best chance of covering. The base is about 12" by 22".

guinevere_showroom.jpg

Last edited:

bw61

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. The Guinevere certainly looks like it will work. I also found that the old toilet was a Kohler Portrait which they still make. The base appears to be the exact same so I may order it in white. We weren't too happy with the old one's performance but is was made probably in 1994. I wonder if the newer version works any better.
EDIT: I searched and someone asked this same question. Consensus was there is not much difference between an old Portrait and a new one.

kohler_portrait.jpg

Both the old and the new Portrait use Ingenium Flush, that means a 2" flush valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks