Toilet Triage

Users who are viewing this thread

dannymstone

Reaction score
Hello all,
Long time follower first time poster!
I bought my first total on recommendations from this forum 10 years ago.

The toilet that is in question, is not flushing solids well. It's likely 20 years old. I would like to keep it because it matches the green fixtures of the existing bathroom. I am no noob, and have tried chemicals and snaking from the bowl.

Shud I have the line to the municipal trunk scoped, snaked, cleared or replace the toilet.

I'm not sure how it can do solids for so long then fail.

Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Peterson

Reaction score
I would be tempted to take the bowl off of the floor and see if there's a foreign object stuck in the bottom of toilet that a drain snake is getting around. Or it might be full of minerals and the jets need a good cleaning out?

Years ago, someone in the family flushed a dryer sheet down the toilet and it got hung up on a rough piece of porcelain in the trapway - causing similar problems to what you describe. The toilet flushed, but it flushed very slowly.

Reach4

Reaction score
Put water into a 5 gallon bucket or bigger waste container. Pour into the center of the bowl from as high as you can and as fast as you dare. The thought is that the deluge may wash something thru. It is also possible that the path to the siphon jet is limed up. The siphon jet, if you have one, makes the flush go better.

Also, if there is something in the trapway, a closet auger is the tool of choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks