Toilet Triage

Users who are viewing this thread

dannymstone

Reaction score
Hello all,
Long time follower first time poster!
I bought my first Toto Soiree ECO SOIREE ONE PIECE TOILET COL WHITE -CEFIONTECT CHROME on recommendations from this forum 10 years ago.

The toilet that is in question, is not flushing solids well. It's likely 20 years old. I would like to keep it because it matches the green fixtures of the existing bathroom. I am no noob, and have tried chemicals and snaking from the bowl.

Shud I have the line to the municipal trunk scoped, snaked and if necessary, cleared or replace the toilet.

I'm not sure how the toilet can do solids for 20 years then fail.

Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello all,
Long time follower first time poster!
I bought my first Toto Soiree ECO SOIREE ONE PIECE TOILET COL WHITE -CEFIONTECT CHROME on recommendations from this forum 10 years ago.

The toilet that is in question, is not flushing solids well. It's likely 20 years old. I would like to keep it because it matches the green fixtures of the existing bathroom. I am no noob, and have tried chemicals and snaking from the bowl.

Shud I have the line to the municipal trunk scoped, snaked and if necessary, cleared or replace the toilet.

I'm not sure how the toilet can do solids for 20 years then fail.

Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Good chance somebody dropped a pair of glasses, kids toy, other foreign object that got hung in the trapway. Try the closet auger. If that doesn't work, pull the toilet up and see if you can work the cable through from the bottom. Shine a flashlight in there. Good chance you'll actually SEE the obstruction. If you can't clear the trapway, you'll have to replace the toilet.

While you have the toilet pulled, run water through the lavatory and through the tub/shower. If the water level doesn't rise in the flange (you'll hear the water), then you'll know immediately that it isn't a drain issue; it's a toilet/trapway issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get a 5 gallon or bigger container with water. Pour into the bowl from as high as practical, as fast as you dare.

The deluge could wash away an obstruction. If the bowl will not take water water at a fast rate, you probably have a partial plug.

If the toilet takes the water, but bad flushing continues, the siphon jet in the toilet may be limed up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks