Toilet Suggestions for Family of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Gall

Reaction score
I got the toilets installed, a Drake II and the Entrada. The plumber tried to save money on the Drake II and used the old water line, which he tilted the bowel towards the water line in order for it to reach. It was also leaking from the inlet valve on the toilet. Also the caulking turned blue for some reason.

We called him to realign the bowel re-do the caulking, and fix the leak. He fixed everything. However, there are still spots of caulking that turned blue again, but not nearly as bad as before. The blue color is originating from outside the toilet, as when he took off the old caulking it the inside color was appeared white. Has anyone encountered this reaction with caulking before?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
he tilted the bowel towards the water line in order for it to reach.

So lame.

We called him to realign the bowel re-do the caulking, and fix the leak.

Good for you.

Also the caulking turned blue for some reason

It's either a biological (e.g. mold) or chemical reaction. Is there copper near the caulk? It can also react with some cleaners that might be on the floor. We recommend polyseamseal, which I haven't seen mentioned when people reference this problem.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A Drake II and Entrada would be taller than most old toilets. Your plumber doesn't carry new supply lines on the truck?
We use new ones anyway when we install.
And if it's the corrugated style that is solid with the stop, we pull the stop and replace it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
A Drake II and Entrada would be taller than most old toilets. Your plumber doesn't carry new supply lines on the truck?
We use new ones anyway when we install.
And if it's the corrugated style that is solid with the stop, we pull the stop and replace it.

That's because you do things the right way as a matter of principle.

You have no idea how unusual that is here. (It wasn't when I lived in Texas, but has been this way here for my entire lifetime.) You would have a long line outside your office every morning if you lived here.

What do you think about the blue caulk? There are a zillion reports online of grout turning this color or that color, but no real consensus of the cause (probably because there are many possible causes).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use clear polyseamseal on that. Goes on white, dries to clear. That's why some of my pictures look white if I take the picture right after the install.
I can never get white to match anything very well. I have no idea why it would turn blue. :(

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if your plumber was a licensed plumber or a handyman. It's pretty basic to replace flex lines on any replacement. Basins, sinks, water heater, and toilets.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
If it's one with a nice sweeping trapway. HD had a nice looking $88 toilet with a nice trapway but it was standard height 14.5"

So in both cases people use too much? (I notice that Charmin Basic is a single ply, too... )

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/search/toilet%20paper?
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...er-reviews/a26511/scott-1000-toilet-paper-30/
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...reviews/a26502/charmin-basic-toilet-paper-16/

Just to tick you off :D I did some calcs:

Charmin Basic (new version) is 3.92"x4" = 15.48" per sheet, times 264 sheets = 4139.52 square inches per roll. 344.92 square feet.

Scott 1000 is 4.1"x3.7" = 15.17" per sheet, times 1000 sheets = 15,170 square inches per roll. 1264.17 square feet.

Charmin Basic Double Roll, 48 count, $24.99 = $0.520625 per roll
Scott 1000, 27 count, $19.57, = $0.72481481481481481 per roll.

264:1000 = 3.787878787878788, meaning that it takes 3.78 Charmin rolls to equal one Scott roll. (3.78 rolls x 264 sheets per roll = 997.92 sheets, total). 3.78 x 0.52 = $1.97 per 1000 sheets of Charmin Basic. Basically it's costing you 2.7 times as much, $1.97, vs $0.73 for the same number of sheets of Scott. If you do the math according to the number of square feet, then you end up paying $1.90 per roll vs. one roll of Scott for $0.73. (I laugh when I read at the Supermarket that 6 rolls of "X" brand = 12 rolls of "the leading brand" 1-ply toilet paper. Don't fall for the false advertising. Do the math.)

Or, to put it another way, you'd have to spend $67.44 for what I pay $19.57.

Not that it really matters, if you like Charmin Basic more than Scott, more power to you.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Flushable-Wipes-Sewage-Clog-Pipes-Toilet-Paper-261714921.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ms-sewer-clogging-wet-wipes-article-1.2112087
I can't comment on the $88 HD toilet, because I've never used one. My $99 AquaSource from Lowe's is perfect.

As for the toilet paper, your calculations amused me. My comment in re using too much of the thicker Ultras was made in the context of clogging the toilet. More isn't necessarily better. And, yes, my Charmin Basic is one-ply but thicker than Scott, so I don't use as much as I would with Scott in order to keep my fingers from poking through the paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

flitch plate

Reaction score
wjcandee ... you are making me gag: that photo shows a toilet brush hanging in the free air, uncovered, dripping onto the floor, smearing against the wall ...

Bob Gall

Reaction score
Hey Guys, the inevitable happened. My 2 year old flush down a toy train down the TOTO Entrada. It's stuck where the toilet drain bends, it seems like it goes further around the bend when we try to pull it out. Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe bend a stiff wire into the shape of a sharp checkmark. See if you can use that as a spear/hook.

You might have to lift the toilet and use something stiff but flexible, like a thick hose, to push it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks