New twist in the quest for a toilet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
I never though buying a toilet would be so hard! I bought a Mansfield from Lowes and was very happy with the look and quality of the toilet. Then I placed it on the flange for a dry fit and some measurements BEFORE I placed the ring. My toilet flange is 11 3/4" to the center measure from the finished drywall. I placed the bowl and set the tank on and it is so close to the wall the lid won't go on.
So now I'm open for suggestions on a round bowl standard height toilet that will give me a little room in the back.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its very hard to quantify the actual installed specs for any toilet... Butt.. I have found that Toto toilets run a bit further from the wall than other brands. And most of my Toto installs are the Drake so thats the one I see with the extra gap the most often.

Eman85

Reaction score
I've got a feeling my old toilet was a 10" rough in as I remember it having some space back behind the tank. How can you measure a toilet and tell if it's a 10" rough in? I really don't have a problem with an inch or so behind my toilet. We were talking about putting wainscot up around the bath so I'd lose that space.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is close. Note that you can "cheat" the toilet base some by taking advantage of the slop in the slots.

You can also add some shims aft to tilt the toilet ever so slightly, and that will move the tank away from the wall.

You should have shims in position before dropping the toilet. You don't want to de-compress wax. Waxless seals have the advantage that you can add shims after dropping the toilet, because they are somewhat resilient.

Here is an idea. Position tapered shims that are a little too thick, and drop the toilet onto the wax. Sit on the toilet, to squish the wax. See how much clearance you then have. Pull out the shims a little until the clearance is ideal when you sit. Sit again.Then tighten the toilet. Cut off the sticking-out shims. Caulk with acrylic caulk, such as Polyseamseal.

Last edited:

Eman85

Reaction score
Before I looked at your post Reach 4 I was in there playing with shims. The fool that laid the mosaic tile floor, that was me, wasn't the best so I did have a little rock when I tried it. A little shimming at the back took the rock out. I set the tank on and it looks like I can get enough clearance now. We'll see how it goes.

Peterson

Reaction score
I just installed a 12" Rough In Kohler Wellworth and noticed that there was about an inch gap between the tank and the wall.

Eman85

Reaction score
What sealer are people using around the base? I saw posts on here about Polyseamseal but I don't find it at local stores. Any manufacturers # for it or where it's available?

Reach4

Reaction score

Similar by DAP:

Last edited:

Peterson

Reaction score
I never caulk around the toilet. I prefer to keep it caulk free so if the thing leaks, I can immediately see it instead of having water build up under the toilet. Also, if I change the floor, you can just lift the toilet up.

Eman85

Reaction score
Local lumberyard had Loctite Polyseamseal, unfortunately they only had Almond. They did have this Red Devil product which appears to be similar.

Reach4

Reaction score
The bathroom versions have an anti-mold ingredient. I am glad to see yours says "It includes HomeShield™ Antimicrobial Protection to ensure against the worst types of mold and mildew."

Terry liked clear, because it would blend in with the flooring better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks