Toilet Rough in size

Users who are viewing this thread

Trunpa

Reaction score
My bolts measure 11 1/4 inches from wall, what size should new toilet rough in size be? 10 or 12???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the model you are looking at.

For the TOTO Ultramax II I need 11.5"
For the CST744S TOTO Drake I need 10-7/8"
Check the spec sheet on the toilet you're looking at for the listed space between the tank and the wall. There are many that work with 3/4" of space behind the tank.

Standard 12" rough, I've seen from 10-7/8" to 11.5" being needed.
10" rough from 9-1/4"
14" rough from 13-1/4"

Last edited:

Bubblicious

Reaction score
It depends on the model you are looking at.

For the TOTO Ultramax II I need 11.5"
For the CST744S TOTO Drake I need 10-7/8"
Check the spec sheet on the toilet you're looking at for the listed space between the tank and the wall. There are many that work with 3/4" of space behind the tank.

Standard 12" rough, I've seen from 10-7/8" to 11.5" being needed.
10" rough from 9-1/4"
14" rough from 13-1/4"
How can I determine whether there is a gap and if so, how much of one? In other words that a 12" toilet would actually be able to fit in an 11.5" space?

We started remodeling our very old home (1945) and removed the 12" toilet from the bathroom. The walls had to come down and be replaced. The result was that the original walls were 1/8" thick but now with sheet rock, they are 5/8" thick and we have only 11.5" space. The toilet we purchased does not fit in the 11.5" space.

I know what kind of toilet I want but what I can't figure out from looking online is whether there is a 1/2" gap remaining. Even with the example above, the Toto UltraMax II, the spec sheet shows a gap, but does not say how much of a gap.

Can you offer advice so I know to select the correct toilet?

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What toilet doesn't install at 11.5"?
MS604114CEFG with 3/4" behind the tank.

ms604_spec_sheet.jpg

Bubblicious

Reaction score
What toilet doesn't install at 11.5"?
Apparently not a Swiss Madison St Tropez SM-1T254.

Attic installation:
IMG_1204 R.JPG

Toilet installed in our powder room instead -- didn't know what else to do since it was not returnable. This is a true 12" rough in and we had barely 3/8" remaining.
IMG_1205 gapR.JPG

We have no fudge room:
IMG_1201 R.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
There is some slop/adjustability in the closet bolt and holes, especially using 1/4 inch closet bolts. With T-head bolts in the slots that form a long arc, there is more adjustability. The closet flange in your photo does not have the long arc slots.

You would want to test this before dropping wax. You don't want to slide things around after the wax is dropped.

Bubblicious

Reaction score
There is some slop/adjustability in the closet bolt and holes, especially using 1/4 inch closet bolts. With T-head bolts in the slots that form a long arc, there is more adjustability. The closet flange in your photo does not have the long arc slots.

You would want to test this before dropping wax. You don't want to slide things around after the wax is dropped.
Truth be told I have no idea what you're talking about and since the plumber does the install I'm certain he knows what to do.

I'm more concerned with how to figure out if a toilet is going to fit in my space. I don't want to buy another toilet that doesn't fit and can't be returned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks