Toilet height

Users who are viewing this thread

HansPL

Reaction score
One would think that today, it would be possible to mount wall-mounted toilets and to place floor-mounted ones at any height. That there would be pipes of different lengths between the toilet drain opening and the floor. But, it is like with cars ... as long as there are no demands, you will have to be an acrobat to get in and out of a regular sedan as well as having a back of a 20-year old to feel comfortable crouching on your toilet a few inches above the floor.

Best,

Hans L

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For wall hung bowls at the standard 4-1/4" rough
Gerber Maxwell = 16-1/8" high bowl
American Standard Glenwall = 14-1/2" high bowl

Floor mount toilets
ADA = 16-1/2" or maybe a little more
Comfort Height or Universal Height = 16-1/8"
Others are normally 14-1/2" in height.

inverted-bathroom.jpg

This toilet seems a little high to me.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Should you use a wall-hung toilet, while there are limits on how low it can go, there is nothing to prevent you from mounting the bracket and thus the toilet higher.

Just like the typical kitchen counter height, it doesn't work for everyone. And, from what I can tell, it was 'set' at 36" based on the average height of a 1950's woman. IOW, unless you go custom, you need to adapt to the norm. It can make resale a problem if you differ from that norm. I have taller kitchen counter than the norm, and I don't particularly care about resale...it is what it is, and could be lower should the next owner want it, but it would mean a full remodel. A taller person would likely love it, though.

HansPL

Reaction score
Did not get a notification until today, so that is why I have not responded to posts above. Thank you for replies.

I have seen platforms sold, and I wonder if one can't, as an alternative, make a custom-made platform with bricks and lovely tiles outside?

Hans L

Jadnashua

Reaction score
As long as it's stable and you plumb the drain properly, you can put the toilet pretty much wherever you want at whatever height. Now, how easy it will be to sell the place, that's another question you've got to deal with when the time comes.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Sometimes, your utility is worth the future chance. I opted for much taller kitchen counter height to accommodate me verses some petite person. It might make it the differentiator for the eventual buyer, or, a detriment. Won't know for awhile, but I've enjoyed it in the meantime.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can anyone tell me what is the standard height of Handicap Toilet?

A toilet seat height of 17-19 inches for ADA

604.4 Seats. The seat height of a water closet above the finish floor shall be 17 inches (430 mm) minimum and 19 inches (485 mm) maximum measured to the top of the seat. Seats shall not be sprung to return to a lifted position

champion-4-ada.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks