Toilet flange is bent and sits below floor level

Users who are viewing this thread

bdezz

Reaction score
I found a leak in my upstairs bathroom that was coming down to my main floor and found it was coming from my toilet when I flushed. I pulled the toilet up and removed the wax ring. The stainless steel ring on the flange is bent where the bolts connect to the ring. I'm assuming this is due to someone overtightening the bolts lifting the sides of the ring up.

The flange itself is also 3/8 inch below the finished floor and I understand it's supposed to be flush with the floor to 1/4 inch above it.

I have several ideas and would like advice on what is the best option.

1. Cut out the bent pieces of the existing ring and put a new steel repair ring on top of the existing ring without removing the old one it. Seal with a thick wax ring. Does stacking 2 rings steel rings on top of each other make a waterproof seal?

2. Cut out the steel ring entirely with a Dremel and replace it with a new steel repair ring. Seal with a thick wax ring.

3. Do either 1 or 2 and combine it with some kind of extension to get more height on the flange.

I guess my 2 main concerns are: What do I do about the corroded steel ring and do I need to do anything to make up for the 3/8" recessed flange. Thank you.

20210817_170212 1.jpg
20210817_174640.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
This seems like a good match for Danco Hydroseat.

DANCO Model 10672X . It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put a normal wax ring under it. I used to think you put another ring on top, but I see they are planning that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for the feet. You can use the holes not on the feet to hold it down, or use the hole in the feet if you can drill your flooring easily.

next-by-danco-toilet-flanges-10672x-e1_100.jpg
next-by-danco-toilet-flanges-10672x-40_100.jpg
next-by-danco-toilet-flanges-10672x-64_100.jpg

I would not cut out the old metal ring. Neither would I use it to hold down closet bolts. The alternative to the Danco Hydroseat would be to use a repair ring. Those hold down the closet bolts, and you would use more wax to bridge the gap between the top of the old metal ring and the bottom of the toilet. Wax conforms nicely so you can mold it to deal with the tilt.

There are various types of repair ring.

You should be able to easily drill through the old metal ring if you are holding down your Hydroseat or repair ring with screws.

Last edited:

bdezz

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Reach4. Regarding leaving the old ring in place, the ring is bent higher than the mouth of the PVC flange. Will leaving it like this still allow a good seal when I seat the toilet?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Reach4. Regarding leaving the old ring in place, the ring is bent higher than the mouth of the PVC flange. Will leaving it like this still allow a good seal when I seat the toilet?
Wax is very pliable. Use two or 3 plain wax rings as a source of the wax to mold. Use nitrile gloves, for easy hand cleaning later, and mold the wax around all of the bends, but do have it in firm contact with the old plastic that holds the ring. Then the underside of the Hydroseat squishes the top of the wax.

If you used a repair ring instead, then you would need more molding. However I see the hydroseat as being less fragile than a taller column of wax if you use a plunger. Plunging into a clogged soil pipe will blow out wax.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use a repair ring if needed to make sure I've locked up the support to the floor, and use either one deep wax, or two rings stacked.

bdezz

Reaction score
Just coming back to say I went with the Danco Hydro Seal like Reach4 suggested, and everything seems to be working great. It felt rock solid once I had it seated. I gave it a few flushes and there is no water coming from under the toilet or down to the floor below. Gonna give it a few more days of course.

By far the hardest part of the repair was drilling holes in my bathroom tile. Holy cow I didn't realize how difficult that is. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just coming back to say I went with the Danco Hydro Seal like Reach4 suggested, and everything seems to be working great. It felt rock solid once I had it seated. I gave it a few flushes and there is no water coming from under the toilet or down to the floor below. Gonna give it a few more days of course.

By far the hardest part of the repair was drilling holes in my bathroom tile. Holy cow I didn't realize how difficult that is. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and help.
I am glad it's working.

If you had used the four holes in the ring rather than the 4 on the feet for the hold-down screws, drilling the tile may not have been needed. You might have had to drill holes in the old metal ring to pass the screws, but that should be easier drilling. But it also may have been that there was not good wood under those inside holes for the screws to hold into.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found a leak in my upstairs bathroom that was coming down to my main floor and found it was coming from my toilet when I flushed. I pulled the toilet up and removed the wax ring. The stainless steel ring on the flange is bent where the bolts connect to the ring. I'm assuming this is due to someone overtightening the bolts lifting the sides of the ring up.

The flange itself is also 3/8 inch below the finished floor and I understand it's supposed to be flush with the floor to 1/4 inch above it.

I have several ideas and would like advice on what is the best option.

1. Cut out the bent pieces of the existing ring and put a new steel repair ring on top of the existing ring without removing the old one it. Seal with a thick wax ring. Does stacking 2 rings steel rings on top of each other make a waterproof seal?

2. Cut out the steel ring entirely with a Dremel and replace it with a new steel repair ring. Seal with a thick wax ring.

3. Do either 1 or 2 and combine it with some kind of extension to get more height on the flange.

I guess my 2 main concerns are: What do I do about the corroded steel ring and do I need to do anything to make up for the 3/8" recessed flange. Thank you.

View attachment 76060 View attachment 76061

Use a Gazinta Flange

upload_2021-8-20_17-45-25.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks