To Replace old Toilet OR Not

Users who are viewing this thread

Cbros

Reaction score
I am considering replacing our old toilets (American Standard Plebe) installed in our home in 1986. We've done some upgrades in the bathrooms and have finally replaced the water softener. I don't even know what flush capacity the current toilets have. They are still functional and I have no problems with them but they have some minor iron stains on the bowl that cannot be removed and so with the upgrades, I thought I'd replace them UNTIL I found this website.

All things being equal, I'd replace them with a low profile elongated bowl toilet, but I'm really concerned about going to such a dramatic decrease in water amount and whether I'll be happy with it. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of $275 - $300 for a stylish toilet with quality flushing capability. However, I'm thinking I might just be better off keeping the old toilets. I'd hate to spend that much on three toilets and hate them.

I'd appreciate any advice the forum could provide. Thanks

I forgot to add that we have well water and a septic system. I don't know if that makes a difference in the replys to my post or not. Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Plebe is a builders type toilet, but if the work well I think I would keep them.

Back then the plumber may have recommended a American Standard Cadet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can figure out how much a flush takes, it won't take you too long. Mark where it is when it is full. Turn off the water, flush it, then use something like a quart/half gallon pitcher to pour water back in until it is full. It could be a 5-gallon toilet. You have to pump all of that water up ($) then flood the septic system with it and maybe water condition it, too. Depending on how many people in the house, going to a 1.6 gallon (or even less if you get one of the dual-flush models) could significantly cut down on the volume of water into your septic system daily. If you get a decent one, it should work as well or better than what you have now. I've got two Toto models in my house and like them. The soft-close seats are nice, too (although you can put a standard seat on it - some models come with one though) - no clunks in the night.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks