The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas is sinking. They have a network of jacks to hold it straight but have had problems with cracks, tilted door frames and such things.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a tilt of 22 inches to the West, the grade would change by .028%
1/8" per foot grade is about a 1% grade and 1/4" per foot would be a 2% grade.

To change the grade by 1% the tower would need to lean 80 inches to the West.

The tower is 645 feet tall, with a mast higher than that.

To flatten the 2% grade built into the fittings, the building would need to lean 161 inches, or 13'-5"

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An unfinished, but partially occupied hotel I was in in China way back when didn't have all of the floors above my room finished, and only one elevator working. To open the door, you had to push on it a bit as the door frame was racked because the building was unstable. FWIW, the chrome on the faucet in the vanity was peeling off. OTOH, in Shanghai, was in an old hotel built by the British over a century ago, and things still worked...bad design and workmanship shows up lots of places. Hopefully, people can be made whole over the project. It's really messy. Sometimes it's design, sometimes, it's workmanship, or skimping on material, using something incorrectly, or inadequate. Then, it takes awhile to figure out if there's a fix, what it will cost, and who's going to pay for it. Best to avoid all of that and do it right the first time!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
An unfinished, but partially occupied hotel I was in in China

They've had a lot of those buildings. I'm sure it happens a lot in places where its easier to bribe folks in charge of inspections. My dad asked what it would take for a local inspector to accept a bribe and that guy completely lost his Shiz.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I installed 10" branch lines in a high rise the NYC code allowed a pitch of 1/16 per inch

If they have a lot of stoppages why don't they have the soil/waste lines empty in sump and install 3 of these as forced sewerage /waste very seldom blocks up

2 for lead and lag and one as an emergency back up

We installed these and never had a problem

https://www.pumpproducts.com/goulds...nXrfRUupZE9gVn1ZkW--ne3-AQfFrVBBoCOuoQAvD_BwE

sylvan-highrise-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks