Canadian Plumbing question ( indirect drain & new garage sink)

Users who are viewing this thread

Edmonton_david

Reaction score
Hello friends,

1st of all, I have learned many great tips from this forum. I am new to plumbing, however not new to DIY or construction. please refer to sketch below for the existing plumbing. Long story as to why the builder came back to fix deficiency and provide a 1.5" floor drain ( no ptrap) to serve a freezer and the outlet of the 1.5" pipe aim behind our expensive washer which the floor drain live there.

My 1st question is could I splice in a new San Tee 1.5x2x2 -18" below the top of the 2" washer's stand pipe and connect the 1.5" ( purple line) into it.

My 1st thought was, since the washer p-trap is below the new san tee, the sewer gas smell should not be a problem. 2nd- the chance of the freezer loss power and all food thaw which sent lot of water into the 1.5" pipe is less likely. 3rd- my understanding is a 2" dain pipe can served 6 fixture units ( ONLY 5 total fixture units {floor dain = 2, washing machine = 3})

Theoretically I my mind it should work, but I am not sure if it code compliant ( Edmonton, Alberta. Canada). Also went to the city development office for advice without any success (Another story- don't want to discuss).

upload_2017-7-19_16-10-25.png

upload_2017-7-19_16-35-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-19_16-6-19.png
    upload_2017-7-19_16-6-19.png
    22 KB · Views: 671

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer the second one putting the indirect drain into the washer standpipe.
The sink in the garage looks fine too. Both the washer and the sink are vented in that drawing.

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello Edmonton_david,

I'm a plumber from BC, so my code, while still based on the NPC 2015, will still be slightly different from yours. Based on the information you've given though, there are a few questions to ask.

First is what type of freezer is this? Is this a commercial establishment?

The NPC 7.4.2.1.1.e states " The following devices shall be indirectly connected to a drainage system: i) a device for the display, storage, preparation or processing of food or drink"

This requires an air break on any drain serving food storage devices, though this can be the space between the device and the drain, if that meets the requirements.

There are other considerations, but floor drains are not usually required for residential food storage units.

Second, 7.4.5.1 states "...every fixture shall be protected by a separate trap."
there are exceptions, but I'm not sure any apply to your situation (they are for multi-compartment sinks, multiple sinks in the same room, mutiple shower/floor drains in the same room, indirectly connected fixtures, interceptors, and storm drainage.

Third, I'm unclear where you're getting the fixture unit values from. While the 6 dfu is in the NPC for a 2" branch drain, clothes washers are 2 dfus with a 2-inch trap, and emergency floor drains can be considered to have 0 dfu ( the trap serving an e.f.d. must still be vented.).

A few pictures of the setup might help the forum sort out the best course of action. What else is served by the 2" drain and the 1.5" vent? Is there a reason the builder wasn't able to arrange a more satisfactory solution?

Common solutions in similar situations include dropping the drain into utility sink, installing a funnel at the drain site, installing a new drainage connection with separated trap and trap primer, or redirecting the drain pipe to a different location.

Last edited:

Edmonton_david

Reaction score
Hello Wrenched,

wrench said st is what type of freezer is this? Is this a commercial establishment?
  • the Freezer is a normal residential stand up frost free freezer. It located on my main floor of my home.
Wrenched said: floor drains are not usually required for residential food storage units.
  • I do understand Floor drain is NOT req'd for residential food storage, It was a precaution that we wanted.
wrench said:at else is served by the 2" drain and the 1.5" vent?
  • if you refer to screenshot 2, the 2" waste stack serves, future 1.5" laundry sink ( I called it ex.1.5" drain) and the 2" in-direct washer Drain.
  • My proposed was to Tie the main Floor drain directly into the washer stand pipe? will this meet code? if not, can you educated me why not?
the second part of the question (Garage Sink) will follow once I resolve the above issues.

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello Edmonton_david,

The interpretation of the code is always up to the authority having jurisdiction( your local plumbing inspector).

In practise discharges like the floor drain in your example are sometimes tied into the laundry stand pipe, though most often with a wye rather than a tee. The only practical objection is that at full flow, the freezer drain and the laundry may overwhelm the flow capacity of the drain pipe. The scenario that both happen at once is unlikely, and the maximum flow is likely less than the maximum capacity of the drainage pipe.

In the code, the NPC Division A, Appendix A is the sentence "...floor drains installed to receive discharge from specific pieces of equipment; this type is defined as a fixture." Once it is defined as a fixture, it follows all the requirements of fixtures and fixture traps, as laid out by division B 7.4 and 7.5,
including that each fixture requires a separate trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks