Threaded Tub Spout Nipple Too Short

Users who are viewing this thread

wongster12

Reaction score
This is my first post so I would just like to thank anyone that is willing to help.

I have a threaded Kolher tub spout that needs to be replaced. The threaded nipple is 3.75 inches long and all Kolher has discontinued the tub spout. All their new tub spouts require a 4 inch threaded nipple. At first I thought the nipple could be unscrewed and replaced with a longer nipple. However, with all my efforts with a pipe wrench, it will not unscrew. So, I think it is soldered. I had purchased a brass adapter but it extended the nipple half an inch too long. I am stumped and wanted to know if I just need to get a plumber.

Any advise is welcomed

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a thing called an "internal pipe wrench", and "nipple extractor".

I don't know if those are total synonyms, but the phrases should get you started.

I did not have good luck with an internal pipe wrench. It slipped.
armour-line-pipe-wrenches-rp77363-64_145.jpg

Other people use them fine.

Use a brass nipple, not galvanized.

Reach4

Reaction score
How far does this nipple stick out of the wall? That would matter if you wanted to consider a different spout, or if you might cut that nipple, and attach something onto the cut nipple.

Is that nipple colored like yellow brass, or reddish like copper? Is that nipple attracted to a magnet?

Otherwise, you would probably need a plumber.

Check the other side of the wall. Is that a closet? If so, there may already be an access panel.

wongster12

Reaction score
Thank you Reach 4. The nipple is more like yellow but not sure if it is brass or copper. I put a magnet to it and it is not attracted to it. I included a pic.

IMG_20200215_144654.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you ay mean that the nipple sticks out of the wall 3-3/4 inches.

Looking in the hole with a bright light, any signs of solder?

What is on the other side of the wall?

Taylorjm

Reaction score
It's not copper. Most likely brass. I don't think I've ever seen a brass nipple threaded on one end and soldered on the other so chances are it's threaded in there.

wongster12

Reaction score
You are correct. I meant that the nipple is 3.75 inches from the wall. As for the other side, it is not a closet but a wall to a bedroom. I did try to take a peak with a bright light and unfortunately there a grout around the base of the nipple so I cannot see anything. I tried the internal wrench and a pipe wrench and it won't budge. Any other suggestions?

Taylorjm

Reaction score
You are correct. I meant that the nipple is 3.75 inches from the wall. As for the other side, it is not a closet but a wall to a bedroom. I did try to take a peak with a bright light and unfortunately there a grout around the base of the nipple so I cannot see anything. I tried the internal wrench and a pipe wrench and it won't budge. Any other suggestions?

Yeah, but you were saying you thought it was soldered at the other end. It can't be because it's not copper, the only other thing you can solder is brass, but you wouldn't have a threaded brass nipple on one end, and soldered at the other.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Well, what choice do you have? You either put a pipe wrench on it and keep going until something gives way and it unscrews, or you cut a hole in the wall behind the faucet and see what's going on, but your probably going to find an elbow and it's threaded and just stuck. Since it's not copper pipe coming out, then this is probably what you have inside.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,348

wongster12

Reaction score
You guys are amazing!!! I gave it a go again and just didn't give up and came loose. Thank you guys again!!!!!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I just measured the nipple and it is 7 inches. So the next question is how to get a 7.25 inch nipple??
I am not sure how much you can do this way, but if you take your 7 and use a lot of tape on both ends, it could come out a little more.

copper-everbilt-copper-fittings-c604hd12-64_145.jpg

Easiest and cheapest, may be is to get a bit of 1/2" copper pipe and solder on 2 MIP adapters. Make your own nipple at whatever length you want.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Delta makes tub spouts with their own adapter that gives you much more leeway for the length from the wall.

delta-rp5834-2.jpg

Or you can do it old school and make it work with 1/2" increments by turning tighter or not so tight.
I like the Delta way. The adapter fits within a range, and then the spout spins onto that.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks