This washer drain stinks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Zim

Reaction score
Hope the photo showed up. There’s no pee trap or vent to this washing machine drain. It’s just a single pipe up from the crawl space. It does stink most days. Any suggestions to add trap and vent certainly appreciated. There should be room in the next stud bay to the left except for the outlet there.

BFB30069-1ABE-4007-862A-A4C21F247FBA.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 186

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The better way since you have a crawl space is to move the drain to the left and place the trap under the drain box. Is there a floor above or just attic space. Attic space you can sexily add a vent through the roof. Have you been under the floor to see how it is connected to the main stack? A hack in one place always leads to another.

According to the Universal Plumbing Code, the standard for washing machine drain sizes is 2 inches. The P-trap should be between 6 and 18 inches from the floor, while the pipe should be between 18 and 30 inches high from the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
img_3.jpg
Any suggestions to add trap and vent
So moved, and I trust there will be plenty of seconds.

18 inch minimum on the vertical into the standpipe.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

Zim

Reaction score
Thank you for the input! Crawl space is a strong term - there might be 8”below the flow joist to dirt. Haven’t been down that far yet. A few plumbers that have been down all say that’s not how I would’ve done it- but...There’s just attic so through the roof is an option. Could a studor redi-vent be covered in a wall? Ya one hack after another... much appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for the input! Crawl space is a strong term - there might be 8”below the flow joist to dirt. Haven’t been down that far yet. A few plumbers that have been down all say that’s not how I would’ve done it- but...
If you need more space, a hard worker (preferable smaller) with a small shovel and a bucket could increase space. Maybe you shuttle buckets, and your worker fills them.

Could a studor redi-vent be covered in a wall?
Yes, but unlikely since there is no trap... but there is a possibility: there could be a trap under the floor. Not permuted by US codes, but it works in Canada from what I have read.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_rough_sno.jpg

You need a trap for the standpipe and it needs to be vented, an AAV if you go that route needs to have access to air and for replacement when it fails and needs replacement.

sure_vent_wall_box.jpg

They make all kinds of boxes for these.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no need going under house just rebuild it and run the aav with the access panel. reach 4 and terry put good pictures up yours can be a little differant general idea .

on second thought if thats an 1 1/2 " inch pipe and not a 2 you might be going back down under at least get 2 inch down through floor it might drain ok if it has been draining well.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Changing to another style box might help like ones Terry showed in pic fit all that in wall. I wonder how such a botched job came about?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Posts, beams, footings, overhangs, apprentices.... list could go on and on.

Yep, the picture was taken on a nearby street, I can't remember looking downstairs to see why they did it that way.
When I was doing new construction, I didn't have a camera with me. Now I wind up taking pictures of other peoples work sometimes for rough, as most of my work now is service work. The days of lugging tubs upstairs and plumbing crawlers, not so much anymore.

At least they are now 2x6 walls now on the exterior.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks