Switching from washer standpipe drain to laundry sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Grebus

Reaction score
I'm having issues with lint buildup in the standpipe for my washer and would like to have the washer drain into a new sink so I can filter the lint out. Would it be acceptable to connect the sink drain to the existing standpipe and then have the washer empty into the sink? If so, does the top of the standpipe then get capped off or what happens to it? Can I go without a trap on the sink since the standpipe has its own trap? Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
What you propose is turn your current situation, like the picture on the right, to be like the picture on the left below, except that the washer would drain into the laundry sink. I had thought that was OK, but I was mistaken. I am not a plumber.

So apparently, you need to get rid of the standpipe. I wonder if you could cap it and call it a cleanout?

index.php

The picture is from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/laundry-sink-piping-help.54772/ #5. #6 says you cannot do that in the US.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the outlet of the WM is too low, it can also siphon the WM. You could run it up high enough, and put something to extend it down as long as there was an air gap to stop siphoning. The WM can produce a pretty strong flow, so splashing can be an issue when it discharges into a sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks