Laundry Sink Piping Help

Users who are viewing this thread

brentalones

Reaction score
Hi, first thanks for the great advice through this forum!

I'm by no means a plumbing expert, but I do like to DIY as much as possible and want to make sure I get the waste plumbing right. I just got a stackable washer/dryer set and now have some extra space for a laundry sink. I opened up the walls in my garage where the current set up is (hopefully this pic shows through well). I'm trying to figure out the best way to tie into the existing plumbing/vents and have everything work properly. After reading quite a few postings and reviewing suggested setups, I don't see one that looks exactly like the setup I have here.

I have two options I think, 1st is to turn the washer drain pipe into the laundry sink drain and simply drain the washer into the sink basin. I don't like how that will look, but it seems like the easiest route since all the venting is already setup. The 2nd option (which I'm hoping someone can offer some help!) is to tie into the existing line and install the waste pipe for the sink.

I'm think I may be able to simply tie in a sani-tee and route a washer vent above the new sani-tee in case the sink were blocked ever for some reason. I marked on the photo with a green link where the new vent connection would be and in a red box where I'd install the sani-tee for the sink. Does that look okay? Sorry if I'm way off too!

I appreciate all your advice!

Brent

Laundry Piping- sani tee 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your "second vent" is not a vent

Your red box area can not be tied into for waste or a drain.

The area above that can be used for a re-vent at 42" above the floor.

washer_rough_flip.jpg

Last edited:

brentalones

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the mislabeling on the "2nd vent", I just did some more investigating and it's the return line for the upstairs bathroom sink (split level house, so the garage pic we have here is basically in between the two floors).

So if I were to re-vent as you described, would that mean I'd connect the new laundry sink drain to the current washing machine drain pipe?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A washing machine standpipe can only be used as a washing machine standpipe. A drain is a drain, and a vent is a vent. You can add a sanitary tee into vertical drain, right above the one for the washer. Each of the fixtures must have a vent between the trap and the drain pipe, and the fixture vents can be tied together once they are at least 42" above the floor.

Because of the way the piping is arranged there, it will probably be best to cut it out and arrange it to fit your layout.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Your absolute easiest option here without re-configuring the drain layout, would be to use the current washing machine drain for your new laundry tub and gang trap the washing machine with the laundry tub.

All you would have to do is cut out the existing trap, and extend the drain out through the wall with a 90 degree bend. Then install the laundry tub with a new trap and connect the WM standpipe above the trap.

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 9.16.06 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Sean Beck, in the U.S.A., the washer standpipe and laundry sink must each have it's own trap. You are right in that the easiest solution here would be to drain the washer into the sink.

brentalones

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. I'll have to bust out the tape measurer and to see the height of everything. I'll draw something up and post it back. Thanks again!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From your photo, it appears all you have to do is install a tee in the washer's vent line at the proper height. The only downside is that the vent is connected with a sanitary tee, rather than with a combination y-1/8 bend.

brentalones

Reaction score
Hi HJ, thanks for the reply! I thought from what I read above from Terry and then also from cacher_chick that I couldn't connect a tee into the washer's vent line? I'm sure I've just misunderstood, any extra info you can shed is appreciated. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks