Submersible Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikobar

Reaction score
I have 64 feet down 4’ well. My 16 year old submersible pump failed on me, couple weeks ago and I had to hire someone to install the new one in. The old pump previously sat at 52 feet. Tech starts the install and sat the pump at 37 feet down, I asked why in the world he did that his answer was it does not matter because static pumping level is at 12 feet. When I did not like his answer he started googling “pumping static level” which Google says if you have 300’ deep well and a static level is 20’ you are actually pumping from 20’ not 300’. I told him that is referring to head pressure with pump push, not that it is where the water is drawing in. It was too late for him and he left. Before the install my water taste was so excellent and tds was 200 and now I have heavy sulfur smell and tds level at 450. I called the tech to tell him that and ask him to lower to 52’ like it was before, he still saying it has nothing to do with where pump is and he claims tide change and it happens. It did not happen for 16 years and every standard I read says pump to be placed 6 to 10 feet from the bottom. I’m asking for an insanity check here, please let me know what you all think? I also attached the photos of the new pump and the old one. I think i will need to pay someone else and give them instructions written on a paper. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 5D6B7DD4-5B3B-4189-A3A9-5E73DD44EB5E.jpeg
    5D6B7DD4-5B3B-4189-A3A9-5E73DD44EB5E.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 181
  • C698F3FA-2FBE-4833-BD6F-61A78C7C92E9.jpeg
    C698F3FA-2FBE-4833-BD6F-61A78C7C92E9.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those are basically the same pumps. Where the screen is in the casing is where the water enters the casing and has nothing to do with where the pump was set. Just the pulling of the old pump and setting the new one could have stirred up the well. I would run it a couple of days to get it to clean up again. During the middle of summer and during high use is when you will find out if the setting is deep enough.

Nikobar

Reaction score
Those are basically the same pumps. Where the screen is in the casing is where the water enters the casing and has nothing to do with where the pump was set. Just the pulling of the old pump and setting the new one could have stirred up the well. I would run it a couple of days to get it to clean up again. During the middle of summer and during high use is when you will find out if the setting is deep enough.

It's been couple weeks now, smell still there and TDS is 450 vs 270. I'm in south Florida

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Where the screen is in the casing is where the water enters the casing and has nothing to do with where the pump was set.

This one has me confused ... again.
I thought on a submersible pump the "entry screen" was on the pump between the motor and the pump. And in simple terms if your well is 100 feet deep and the top level of the water was say 20 feet down ........ You set the pump say 10 feet off the bottom so you have a net of 70 feet of reservoir in the pipe that you can draw from.

Nikobar

Reaction score
I thought on a submersible pump the "entry screen" was on the pump between the motor and the pump. And in simple terms if your well is 100 feet deep and the top level of the water was say 20 feet down ........ You set the pump say 10 feet off the bottom so you have a net of 70 feet of reservoir in the pipe that you can draw from.

See attached where the screen supposed to be located.
webwellpict.gif

Reach4

Reaction score
A cased well has a screen in the casing to keep the "gravel" out, and let the water in. The gravel (usually more like course sand than what you picture as gravel) keeps most of the sand and even silt out of the casing. In selecting gravel size, and corresponding screen size, it is a balance of admitting enough water, and excluding most of the sediment.

In a 4 inch well, the pump should be above where the water comes in, so that water will flow around the motor, and cool the motor. With a 5 inch well, it is often possible to use a flow inducer to cool the motor, even if the water comes from above.

A 4 inch well could use a flow inducer with a 3 inch pump.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks