Studor Trap-Vent(in one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolwhip

Reaction score
I'm asking about this product specifically https://www.ipscorp.com/pdf/studor/STU021_TrapVent_web.pdf

Does anyone have experience with it? When I first started looking at air admittance valves, I wanted to be sure to get ones that would never(hopefully) fail. So just wanted to know what you guys think about this product. I guess it has the advantage that it will probably be a little more accessible than where an independent AAV would end up...but I'd like to hear from some pros that they approve of it and haven't had problems with it if they've used it.

studor-trap-vent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) I have never used one.

2) Everything mechanical fails.

3) It looks like it would be easy to replace if it is still available when failure occurs. Is there an obvious plan "B" if it has been discontinued when it takes a dump?

4) Is there a strong reason for not venting through the roof, which is a much better way to do it.

5) I don't see UPC approval.

6) I am old school and hate AAVs, but, there are two in my home because of log construction limitations.

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't meet your prereqs. That TrapVent needs perfect alignment of trap adapter with tailpiece.

The Rectorseal 97402 Magic Trap with the Rectorseal 97400 AAV, if the AAV clears the bottom of the sink, could add the vent you need. It would take more room, but it does not need perfect alignment.
97402-3.jpg

I have not used or seen one of those either. Post a photo of what you end up with.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I saw those upc numbers . It may be legal in upc country. there are a few things to know about UPC code It might be in the latest and greatest code but many times the latest code has not been adopted by your locality.
Another thing is I remember a controversy as to whether an AAV was nessesarily legal and some jurisdictions were challenging some technicalitys of the code . I dont know if it was ever clarified in California.
I still think they should be avoided but thanks for bringing these items to attention

Coolwhip

Reaction score
Venting through the roof is not possible, but I've heard what I need, will just use a regular AAV and think I if I have enough vertical clearance will install under the (floating)vanity and keep it out of the wall for access and build a faux wall to hide everything. Any recommendations beyond the rectorseal?(thank you for that) Would like to avoid any brands/models known to fail frequently. Is rectorseal better than oatey?

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Reaction score
Also, what do you guys think about flat p-traps for tub/shower? I'm not working with much space there so it'd be convenient but if you say avoid I'll make a regular trap work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
never used them but someone else should have recomendation. good luck sounds like your in tight spaces!

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
That literature does not show UPC approval. It shows compliance with ASSE, NSF, and ICC approval, but I don’t see the UPC stamp here anywhere.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are AAVs actualy approved and non deniable or does inspector need to give ok ? Ive never been sure with UPC

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
Each municipality has final say on what they will allow, they can make code that is more restrictive than national or state codes.

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
For instance, we use them in seattle, but certain uptight smaller local towns might not. Bellevue across the lake for years did not. Both adopted the UPC but added their own layer of addendums.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks