Struggling to Place LED Downlights w/ Ceiling Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Networkwasher

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm about to install some slim LED downlights in a bedroom remodel. However, the dimensions of the room, paired with a 52" ceiling fan, are causing me some concerns. Clearly, I don't want to introduce a strobe effect into this room, but I want to be sure the lights are far enough from the walls to sufficiently light the room.

The lights I'm using have a 120-degree beam angle. Their spec sheet can be accessed here: https://www.topaz-usa.com/product/spec-sell-pdf

Here are the dimensions of the room, as well as the layout that I'm currently thinking about. I'm interested in how you think this might perform: https://imgur.com/a/kXoCKao

Really, any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Generally, the light fixtures should be placed no further apart than the ceiling height but its all personal preference and how the room balances out. On a remodel of my bedroom I added six fixtures in a room 13.3' x 17' and it was the perfect amount of light. I do not remember the measurements since I have sold that house, I had them about 20" from the wall with three on side of the room with a 8' ceiling. I also had a fan and did not get any strobing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I did the math correctly, the beam of a 120-degree fixture sitting at 8' ceilings is almost 14' circle at the floor beneath. Depends somewhat on how much wall wash you want, but if it were right next to the wall, the beam would still extend almost 7' into the room. Some LED fixtures don't have a super even, round beam that an incandescent has. (tan(60)*8 *2 - for a right triangle with the long side 8', then, times 2 to get the other 60-degrees).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks