Low Profile Downlight in Drop Ceiling

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by nelsonba, May 16, 2019.

1. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Why not? They are even rated for contact with insulation, so heat would not be a factor.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

I’m more concerned about the tile supporting the weight of the light. Is the other option to get standard recessed housing and support it on the grid with bar hangers and wire?

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Broad-Wing Hawk

Retired
    The wafer, as what Torchstar calls it and they are extremely light. I could not find any specification on weight but I doubt it could ever cause the ceiling panel to sag. You can get thin strips of wood to place under the clips to spread the weight out. I would support the driver somehow above the ceiling panel if the wire is long enough. It is not listed but I’m assuming it is direct wire and that is where any weight could come from. Proper support of the AC wire or whips from a juncture box to the driver would be needed to keep weight off the ceiling panels.

6. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    I like these fixtures. They take some of the scare out of installing remodel cans on account of their flatness.
    The only thing to worry about that I know of is the sheer tenacity of the springs that hold the light in place. The ones I put in lately were
    a little different in that the j-box was fixed to the top of the fixture . You bend the springs up and push it up in the hole. Halfway there the springs will set and snatch the light right out of your hands. That's ok on sheetrock, but more care would have to be taken with ceiling tiles.