Speakman T/S faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ran into my first Speakman tub-shower faucet today. Customer complained of a drip. I didn't really want to fool with it since I'd never cracked one open before, and I'm pretty sure a replacement cartridge will not be found on the rack down at the Depot. I made the customer aware of my concerns and he suggested that I should open it up anyway. Parts flew everywhere. Should have followed my instincts and ran like hell. Ended up with the big chrome/plastic diamond plate and a budget level Delta valve after I cut out the old Speakman. Hope I never see another one. What a POS.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The finish parts are in a trash can half way across Metro Atlanta, depending on when garbage day is. I have the carcass for recycling. Didn't think to take pictures.
So, here's the layout:
The single lever finish parts looked much like any other t/s faucet,
The handle and spout were very attractive parts.
The diverter is located below the handle like an old Delta.
The diverter is a flip switch rather than a push-in.
There's no name on the escutcheon plate. Just Off, Warm, Hot, beginning at 12 o'clock and around to 3 o'clock.
The handle is held on with a Phillips screw.
The trim escutcheon for and behind the handle is threaded onto a long threaded nipple which slides over a long stem with splines over it's whole length. It pulls tight against the big escutcheon when you tighten it down.
Chapter 2:
Two long screws to remove the big escutcheon, in the 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock position.
Looks like a mystery foreign job except for the "Speakman" name on the left side of the black plastic cover.
Four screws hold the black cover dome onto the brass body of the valve.
This is where I balked. Please, Mr. Custer, I don't want to go.
Maybe it's just an O-ring; who knows?
Chapter 3.
With a blessing from my very attentive customer, I removed the black plastic cover from the valve body, and several parts fell out all over the place. Gee, I wonder where that goes? Was this up or down? Should I blow my brains out?
Ok, there were two spring-loaded ceramic little stovepipe hats in a cartridge that looked like a Delta pressure balance half-cartridge unit. The stovepipe hats were separated from the spring by a sub miniature brass disc and a flat-sided o-ring and God only knows how that all stays together while some unfortunate soul tries to service this contraption. Hence the debris fall.
There was a little yoke that appeared to be associated with the ceramic hats which might have snapped into a center piton and held the aforementioned hats. It was a small shard of plastic with three holes in it. The center hole looked like it might have been there to snap into the center hole of the yoke. Any proper sequence of reassembly didn't make any sense at this point.
Looks like I've run past my word limit. I'll pick it up later. Lucky you.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're in luck, I came back. Life gets demanding sometimes.
Ok, the trim parts came off and I'm looking at a black plastic cover on the valve body with the Speakman logo around the face on the left side of the aforementioned cover. That was my first indication of the brand of faucet .
I reluctantly removed the plastic/composite cover, keeping focused on the sequence of disassembly so that the reassembly could be done in the proper order. All that went to hell when I removed screw #4 and pulled the stem away from the valve body and several mystery parts rained down into the tub.
That'll put a beak in your chicken nugget every time.
The handle stem is maybe four inches long and is captive to the black cover part. The stem has splines over it's full length.
Under the black cover there's a little bar which turns with the stem. One of the mystery parts from down in the tub has a slot which fits into the bar. The mystery part is a round ceramic disc with mirror image teardrop slots. It presses against the hot and cold "little hats". About the size of a half dollar, for those who remember them.
Sorry, I've got tortilla soup on the stovetop and a porkchop casserole in the oven. I cook on Sunday.
As you turn the handle, the disc first allows more cold water through. As you turn it further, the cold slot gets smaller while the hot slot becomes more open, the water hotter.
Some fellow posted pictures of the Speakman cartridge after my post. The one I had looks like that, just the spring-loaded parts in the two apertures are not shown. Nor the ceramic disc. His faucet could be a different set up, don't know.
I should make my address known in case the Nobel Prize committee needs to get in touch about this literary work of art.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks