How to Prevent Delta Faucet from Getting Stuck Again

Users who are viewing this thread

Vee

Reaction score
After about ten years, I noticed water leaking out of a light fixture below a bathroom. I didn't buy the light fixture with the optional water drip, so I went upstairs and was actually happy to find that my problem was obvious and accessible! Wow!

I have a Delta Vero Roman Tub set, two handles. The hot was streaming water, the cold was dripping. I removed the set screws on the handles and I could not get the hot water handle to go. It was stuck on there well. I managed to get it to go, only after snapping off the stem. The cold water handle came off much easier, not as easy as it should have, but I managed to get it off without breaking the stem, however the base was busted up. It not turns all the way around.

Delta customer service was excellent. They are sending me two completely new handle assemblies, and seat springs. I just have to wait a while to get it. (They said 10-14 days!)

Anyways, the point of this thread is to ask:

1. is there anything I can apply to prevent this from happening again? The calcification of the slow leak, over time, seems to be the reason these things locked up. Would some anti-seize, plumbers grease, or anything else help prevent this from happening in the future?

2. should I expect to replace these seat springs every 5 years or so? I want to make sure I don't have any more leaky light fixtures. Instead of waiting for the leak, should I just plug this into my "to-do" list every 5 years? (I could just add that to the iPhone calendar now) It may save me from ripping off the faucets in the future, no?

I think I should have bought a Moen set, I think their cartridges last a whole lot longer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks