Space Heater and Toilet Clearance

Users who are viewing this thread

Desperate Housewife

Reaction score
I need to replace a 1950s American Standard toilet that is leaking despite all of our efforts to fix it. Unfortunately, it sits in front of a baseboard radiator that has a cover and heating fins from our gas hot water heating system. I need a toilet that will clear three inches behind the trap way . The American Standard Cadet 3 looks like it will do that, but plumber's comments online are that this is a cheap American Standard with quality control problems and it's not a strong flusher. I want a Toto but none looks like it will fit. Any suggestions apart from ripping out the heater and re-routing the furnace's hot water line in the bathroom?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cadet 3 will work fine for you. And it's way easier than moving the heating in that room.

cadet-pro-06.jpg

Last edited:

Desperate Housewife

Reaction score
I would only need to remove the section of the heating unit behind the toilet. I've become a fan of Toto's and like what I've read about their quality. I especially like the tornado flush feature and have seen it demonstrated in a local Toto showroom. This is my only bathroom and I don't want sewer line or toilet clogs or a toilet bowl that needs constant cleaning. Is the Cadet Pro a better grade of toilet in the Cadet line? The online prices look really low and what I've seen of American Standard toilets in a local big box store doesn't impress me. Cheap junk compared to my 1956 American Standard with its brass flush valve. It's never clogged and it's always clean but the tank water level drops three inches over a period of 4-5 hours of no flushing. I've spent hours reading the reviews and specs about various toilets and had decided on a Toto Promenade II until I looked at the specs and was so disappointed to see the clearances at the back.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All of the new toilets use plastic in the tanks. You won't find anything with brass fittings anymore. And yes, it's kind of amazing working on the old stuff and how long much of it has lasted. You don't get that with the plastic fittings. I've seen spontaneous cracking of plastic fittings. There are the manufacturers that make the china and those that make the parts that go inside. Often the parts are common to several brands of toilets. If you do keep the heat register, it does limit your options.

The Pro series does seem a little nicer, but then even the best are made from clay after all. Nothing is "fine" china.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks