Sloan M-101526-f3 Vacuum Breaker leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Mastsh12

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm up at my folks place for Fathers day and they asked me to take a look at the leaking guest room toilet. I replaced the duckbill valve in the upper supply group about 6 months ago the last time it was dribbling.

Well, now the dribble is coming out of the vacuum breaker. Specifically, a second or two after the tank finishes "filling" after a flush. It goes silent, and then the dribble starts.

I replaced the duckbill again, and pulled/cleaned inlet screen on the bottom, and the problem persists. This developed about a week ago with no apparent decrease in water pressure to the house. (Toilet has been working fine for at least 6+ years at this point)

Any ideas what may be wrong (and/or how it can be fixed)? I can't find any diagrams of the upper supply group that suggest it can be disassembled or cleaned, and the only advice sloan has is "clean the inlet screen".

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found this:
C) Condition: Vacuum Breaker Leaking

If the Vacuum Breaker (E) is leaking, it is likely that the water pressure is insufficient or that there is insufficient flow due to a plugged inlet screen in the lower Supply Shank. The recommended static pressure for the 503 Series is between 20 psi and 125 psi and for the 504 Series between 25 and 125 psi

http://www.flushmaterepairparts.com/troubleshooting

Mastsh12

Reaction score
Yeah I
I found this:
C) Condition: Vacuum Breaker Leaking

If the Vacuum Breaker (E) is leaking, it is likely that the water pressure is insufficient or that there is insufficient flow due to a plugged inlet screen in the lower Supply Shank. The recommended static pressure for the 503 Series is between 20 psi and 125 psi and for the 504 Series between 25 and 125 psi

http://www.flushmaterepairparts.com/troubleshooting

Yeah I saw that as well, but as far as I can tell, the water pressure hasn't changed, and the other toilet in the house (same model) is still working fine. I ordered a replacement Upper Supply, we shall see if replacing the whole part will fix things.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pressure is good there could be some trash in the supply line that plugged the inlet screen in the lower supply shank as stated above link.

Check Inlet Screen
  1. Turn off the water supply valve.
  2. Flush the toilet to relieve the pressure.
  3. Disconnect the water supply line from the Supply Shank (A). (See Figure 6)
  4. Examine the inlet screen and remove anything that may be blocking the flow of water into the FLUSHMATE® tank.
    • The inlet screen can be removed by inserting a small pointed object (such as a large paperclip or the blade of a penknife) into the lower Supply Shank and working the inlet screen loose. (See Figures 7a, 7b, 7c)
    • Reinstall the inlet screen by pushing it upward into the Supply Shank with your fingertip. (See Figure 7d)
  5. Reattach water supply line and fully open water supply valve. Test setup by flushing toilet.

Last edited:

Mastsh12

Reaction score
If the pressure is good there could be some trash in the supply line that plugged the inlet screen in the lower supply shank as stated above.

As I noted in my original post, I pulled the inlet screen and cleaned it as a first step. Didn't help I'm afraid.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was there any trash on the screen or was it clean? If it was clean that may not be the problem. It it was partly blocked , I would try to flush the water line.

Mastsh12

Reaction score
It was clean. I had thought it might have been scale build up (Arizona water is pretty mineral rich) but none of the pores were clogged or blocked.

Mastsh12

Reaction score
Well, new upper supply group arrived today. After a mildly frustrating install (couldn't open the compression clamp, had to cut the hose, boo), the dripping is now gone. From looking at the old piece, it appears the spring in the old vacuum breaker either corroded got gummed up with scale and was no longer functioning fully.

11$ well spent to no longer deal with a constant dripping noise

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks