Shower water stops won't budge

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Sullivan

Reaction score
Hello,

I finally got my shower faucet plate off and it appears there are stops to shut off the water, which is good, because I live in a condo and otherwise would have to turn off water to the entire building.

But these screws do not turn. Not even a little. I have used almost max force. All I am doing is stripping the screw. Is there anything I should try? A little WD-40?

Here is a picture of what I'm working with.
https://www.screencast.com/t/5F62ObfI

Thanks a lot

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FIrst, you may want to get a flat blade screwdriver that matches up well with that slot. You want one both as wide as the length, and that fits into the slot tightly. That will give you more leverage without damaging things. If you get one with a square shank, you can use a wrench on it. As things age, there could be some mineral deposits on the seal or seat, or, the seal may have swollen a bit, all making it harder to fully close it. It appears yours is nearly closed, but that last 1/8th turn or so will be the toughest. Nothing you put on the outside will help. Assuming that's a 1/4-turn valve, when aligned with the water flow, it should be fully opened, and when at a right angle, it should be closed.

With the right screwdriver, move it back and forth, and you may clean out the obstruction, eventually getting it fully closed. Otherwise, you're going to have to shut off the whole area. Not sure what the procedure is in your HOA. FWIW, in most places, working on plumbing in a multi-family dwelling calls for a pro to do the work, at least that's true where I live.

If you do end up shutting off the whole area, if there's an obvious place in your unit to install a unit shutoff, consider doing that as well for the next time.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Those stops turn clockwise to turn off the water but some only take a 1/4 turn. If you cannot get them to move, turn off the water to the building and with a socket, place it over the hex nut and remove the entire stem. Counter clockwise to remove.

Joe Sullivan

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful tips. I used a longer screwdriver with a wider head and was able to get the screws to turn. Interestingly, I backed out the hot water screw and the hot water pressure went up, so maybe my cartridge is not bad after all. But I'm still going to replace everything (cartridge and fixtures) since I took it apart and damaged some of the faucet pieces.

Mliu

Reaction score
Is there anything I should try? A little WD-40?
When will people learn that toxic chemicals, particularly penetrating oils, and potable water do not mix? You're better off scrapping a fixture and replacing it than you are getting solvents inside your water pipes. Just. Don't Do. It.

As for stuck screws, if a screw won't budge when tightening, try loosening it a little first. If a screw won't budge when loosening, try tightening a little first. Also, you can tap (moderately) on the screw with a hammer to try to break it free. Or alternately, apply some heat, then some cold. Just be careful you don't set your house on fire or melt any internal parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks