Shower stall walls and floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Claraarcher

Reaction score
Anyone use USG's products like GoBoard and thier pre pitched floor systems? Schluter is very expensive and seems like there are newer - better? products out there for less.

Any websites of places in NE USA that has good pricingand carrys a more than one brand?

will be 32" X 60" alcove with sliding doors

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
USG's products have gotten some good press. Schluter's system has been around decades longer. Depending on where you buy it, the price can vary considerably, though. FWIW, my preference is to use a surface applied membrane versus other available systems. The foam panels, already waterproofed is easier than applying the sheet membrane and provides similar end results.

FWIW, making a custom pan made out of deck mud is lots cheaper, and corrects for imperfections and slight offsets in your drain location. It's not all that hard, and even doing one for practice is easily still much cheaper than a preformed one. A preformed one only works well if your plumbing drain is exactly where required and your floor is perfectly flat and level...something that isn't all that common.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for building a shower.

Claraarcher

Reaction score
USG's products have gotten some good press. Schluter's system has been around decades longer. Depending on where you buy it, the price can vary considerably, though. FWIW, my preference is to use a surface applied membrane versus other available systems. The foam panels, already waterproofed is easier than applying the sheet membrane and provides similar end results.

FWIW, making a custom pan made out of deck mud is lots cheaper, and corrects for imperfections and slight offsets in your drain location. It's not all that hard, and even doing one for practice is easily still much cheaper than a preformed one. A preformed one only works well if your plumbing drain is exactly where required and your floor is perfectly flat and level...something that isn't all that common.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for building a shower.

i would liek to give it a try to do a mud base. There are some screed things out there that will help woththe pitch.

Guess i'll get some bids from pro might not cost much more and save me some time (esp. if i mess it up :)

thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WOrking with deck mud is sort of like working with wet beach sand. It doesn't flow, you pack and shape it. Sand and cement are both cheap, so you can make yourself a mockup and get some experience for probably less than $30 or so, or try one in place, and if it doesn't work out properly, remove it and start over and not be out much except for some time.

Basically, draw a level line around the perimeter at the needed height. Pack a band of deck mud as a ledge around the whole thing (you can use a level and a mallet to pack it, level it, and keep it nice and straight. Then, using some various length sticks, using the edge and the drain, make that a nice flat (but properly sloped) surface between the two. Once you have it all packed and flat (sloped at a minimum of 1/4"/foot), use a float to pull some cement to the surface to smooth it a bit more.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with building a shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks