Floor joists in the way of new toilet and shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
We have a new side porch that is fully enclosed and waiting for plumbing and electrical. When I looked at the plumbing layout and the location of the floor joists, it looks like both the toilet and the shower are directly over floor joists. I'm trying to figure the best solution to work around the joists.

Toilet - total width for the toilet is about 38" (open alcove with wall on each side).
- I have a little flexibility to move it left or right to clear the joist that runs right down the center line at about 19". However, I don't want to get the toilet too close to the wall, and a 3" pipe needs quite a bit of clearance.
- Crawl space under it is still open, so I could remove the joist that is in the way and add joists on either side to open up the area, but that is a lot of rework in an area that is only about 36" tall. Is there any other way to cut the existing joist and reinforce it by sistering joists on either side?

Shower will have a Schluter pre-made pan on top of plywood. It is framed for 48" wide, and Schluter sells a 48" wide pan with a center drain, which would be right on the joist. However, I could buy a 60" wide pan instead, and cut it down to make the drain off center left or right enough to clear the joist under it. I'm not sure if this will make the shower look bad to have the drain only a few inches off center, since most have either a center drain or a drain near the far end. Schluter also has one 60" pan with a drain 10" from one end, which would probably be the simplest choice.

I appreciate any guidance or suggestions.

Thanks,

Bruce

Tom P

Reaction score
What is the size and spacing of your joists?

Having the shower drain a few inches off shouldn't look too horrible but if it was me I'd be thinking about whenever I saw it.

Are you able to change the layout? Changing the framing at this point to fit your plumbing is more than a little backwards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks