Shower pan redo - please help

Users who are viewing this thread

gagaliya

Reaction score
Hi,

My newly renovated(1 year) bathroom shower started leaking to my living room - it starts to leak when I plug the drain and let water fill up a bit.

The contractors finally came back and knocked out the pan again for a redo. Attached are the photos after they completed the demo. Can you guys see anything that was done incorrectly by those guys so I can tell them to correct it before they do it this time.

I dont have a lot of faith they will do it right this time either, they still won't give me a reason why it was leaking badly the first time, the guy just mentioned maybe the area around the drain was leaking...

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 191

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I cannot tell...is the liner flat on the floor? If it is, that's against the plumbing code which requires the waterproofing to be sloped to the drain (tile is not the waterproofing).

At this stage, plug the drain and do a flood test. The shower pan should not leak. THe best way to check is to use a control of a pan of water outside to account for any evaporation, you can compare the two.

There should be a moisture barrier on the walls behind the cement board that laps over the top of the liner...that's not visible, if it's there. Again, tile isn't waterproof, so a moisture barrier behind that laps into the pan is part of the industry standards.

There should be some silicon sealant between the clamping drain base and the liner.

WHen putting it all back together, they need to ensure that they keep the weep holes in the drain open.

There cannot be any holes put into the liner lower than 2" above the top of the curb. There should not be any into the curb inside or on top. This means you can't nail cement board on the curb...it needs to be mudded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks