Ideas for fixing tile shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

rmjonesjr

Reaction score
I have a Dreamline preformed shower pan that started leaking underneath. During my troubleshooting, I discovered our contractor installed with an Oatey 130 series tile drain instead of the no caulk ring type.

I bought the Wingtite replacement drain but it looks like when I cut out the old tile flange/drain, my drain pipe won't be tall enough to receive the new drain.

Any suggestions on how to salvage the tile drain so it will last longer than it did? I think adding plumbers putty under t he strainer will make it sit above the pan.

It seems like the better option is to extend the drain pipe and use the Wingtite. I would have to do this from above because I can't get under the house without a lot of digging.

Does anyone have another idea or offer some gotchas to avoid?
I appreciate any input.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is NO way to adapt a mudset shower drain to a shower pan. Just totally abandon that idea.

I have an idea that involves reeming the pipe and tile flange out. coupling pipe up enough for the wingtite to connect.. I've never used the wingtite so can't say this is 100%.. just have to leave the office now.

rmjonesjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, that is what the Wingtite instructions say to do..hacksaw the flange out then put their drain on top of the pipe. It looks like it will work once I get the pipe a little taller. Wanted to explore my options before I make that kind of commitment.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
remove shower drain cut down low put coupling on and extend to proper height . install wingtite drain.
Easier said then done . contractor did a bad job sorry to say

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Post a pic that shows what you're dealing with. It just seems unfathomable to install that way.

rmjonesjr

Reaction score
I was hoping there was a style of drain that had a flat underneath, instead of the rounded style of the current one, that could screw in and make a good seal against the top of the pan.

Not sure how the flange bolts will come out after I piece out the ABS flange...I am thinking an oscillating saw with a metal blade.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_231044736.jpg
    PXL_20231125_231044736.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20231125_231117841.jpg
    PXL_20231125_231117841.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 59

GReynolds929

Reaction score
The seal is made by compression and putty or silicone caulking. Are you trying to replace?

rmjonesjr

Reaction score
The current drain had putty between the flange and the pan. (No compression ring.) There was putty between the strainer and the pan, too. I was planning on putting silicone with the Wingtite replacement.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tile drain under there has 2 parts that are not sealed. Then you have the potential of threading a flange in the top, which they're designed to have mortar embeded, and therefore not matching the contour of the pan recess.

There are probably many ways you could attempt to seal that up.. but none of them are known to me since I don't install that way.

My only advice is to remove the tile drain and install a drain you know will seal properly.

rmjonesjr

Reaction score
Thank you. I WAS hoping there was a threaded flange that did fit the contour of the pan. My hunch is that even if there was such a thing it would eventually fail because of the flexing of the pan.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We actually just installed a shower pan that uses a mudset drain body... just not the way as the OP got stuck with.

1704827810780.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks