Shower faucet spins all the way around but won't come off

Users who are viewing this thread

SKJJ

Reaction score
Hello - I'm a newbie to any kind of DIY or handywork so apologies if this is a dumb question.

We rent so I don't know the details of model etc - basically trying to figure out if this is a problem I can fix myself with basic tools/knowledge or if I need to pass the problem over to my landlord.

Our shower faucet on the cold side has come unseated and the dial just spins around (the cold water is permanently off). I tried to unscrew from the base and this works fine at first but after about half an inch I start to encounter resistance (at that point the dial stops moving independently) and eventually it becomes nearly impossible to turn further. I am hesitant to push it further at that point since I don't want to risk snapping something off and making it worse. (ie I havent tried using anything to force it further than I can do by hand yet).

It's a bit of an odd set-up - three dials, the middle of which controls the shower/bath water flow, and then the faucet stopper which does the same thing. I've attached a photo of how things sit. Any help or advice is appreciated, and I'm fairly clueless (as I'm sure was made obvious above) so don't hesitate to give really obvious advice! Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Looks outdated and non pressure balanced?

If you have a rental contract, read it.

Most have a clause as to enforce that the "Tenant" cannot touch or repair anything without consent. specifically PLUMBING without having flood insurance or a plumbers license.

Secondly say your tinkering with it and !bam! you spring a leak........do you even know where your shutoff is?

now you are liable for a flood restoration bill and open to lawsuit.

Call your landlord and request a licensed plumber........

I have seen this end in a worst case scenario in which the tenant owed back rent and didnt want to call the landlord.....took a few hrs before the plumber arrived......flood city.

SKJJ

Reaction score
Thanks for replying! Apologies, I should have explained the renting situation further. We rent the entire house so I do know where the shutoff valve etc are. Our agreement (in writing) is that I will repair normal day to day items around the house, and bill him for any materials etc - for example a few months ago I replaced the shower head and sent him a bill for the new one. He only gets involved with extensive repairs or more complicated matters - and the downside is that he is slow to get out here and will often try to make repairs himself first before calling anyone.

So if I can fix this myself, that is much easier and preferable. But it is definitely an old and outdated set up - is this something I'm more likely to make worse than better if I keep fiddling with it?

SHR

Reaction score
Your faucet previously has been hack repaired thus the redundant diverters. This appears to be a common repair scenario for licensed plumbers but from your post, not something you should attempt. Call your landlord to have it repaired. This is way beyond day to day repair. If he tries to repair it himself than he is responsible for his own mess.

SKJJ

Reaction score
Your faucet previously has been hack repaired thus the redundant diverters. This appears to be a common repair scenario for licensed plumbers but from your post, not something you should attempt. Call your landlord to have it repaired. This is way beyond day to day repair. If he tries to repair it himself than he is responsible for his own mess.

Great, thank you very much for the reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks