Shower copper pipe attached directly to wood

Users who are viewing this thread

agrippina

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, would appreciate your advice on this simple situation in our bath remodeling project. I have asked a contractor to secure the wobbly shower pipe and he did that by inserting a piece of plywood in between a copper pipe that runs to the shower arm and the adjacent stud (please see attached photo). It is definitely secure now but my concern is about possible condensation on the pipe and wet plywood in the long run. Should I be concerned about condensation on the pipe (after constant shower use) rotting the plywood and eventually the stud? Can the pipe in general, touch any of the wood components?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

shower-plywood.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or you can use blocking from scrap 2x4, to go from the stud near the drop ear fitting to the next stud to the right.
Secure the blocking to the studs, then secure the drop ear fitting to the blocking.
Cost: almost nothing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Condensation only occurs when the pipe's temperature would be below the dew point...unless you regularly take cold showers, it's not an issue at all.

You do want to use one of the suggestions to anchor the fitting at the top, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks