Which kind of hangers for back of stud 1" copper pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thekid1

Reaction score
Hey all. I need to run 1" copper pipe horizontally against the back of a new wood stud wall. There is only 5" in between the back of studs and concrete foundation, so I would need something I can secure from the side. I see the Hap System blue metal hangers, but I'm not too sure about trusting them for long term being that they are only powder coated steel and possibly the coating wearing over time and corroding the pipe. Also because the picture shows copper pipe, but the specifications only mention cpvc.

Proabably overthinking this, but I dont want any issues. What would you guys use? Thanks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
back of studs Plastic 2 hole straps are the staple for me . I like plastic because of noise , you said hangars but i think these might be what you want

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
J-hooks could be nailed at an angle to the side of the studs in such a way that the pipe doesn't rub on the wood.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry didnt get that quite right. use whats knows as a suspension clamp an example being a holdrite 221A dont mess with anchoring a half inch line with concrete wedge anchors just a couple screws in side of a stud

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
j hook like those would work . or suspension hangar the oatey link that lligetfa put up shows other products under the j hook name that arent traditional j hooks I just get specialty products suspension hangars from all the local supply houses for cheap and always available but the Oatey looks high quality both work great . But those metal hangars I wouldnt even think of those for this

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the plastic snap in ones. Not sure what they are called but you put one screw in the middle and the pipe snaps into the hanger. These are really only good for horizontal or vertical (not overhead horizontal) and they have to be lined up nice.

Thekid1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didnt know the j-hooks work with copper. And I thought the Oatey suspensions were just for pex.

These sound great, thanks. Injust wish they made them a tad longer to allow for ½" insulation. But these will do nonetheless.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didnt know the j-hooks work with copper. And I thought the Oatey suspensions were just for pex.

These sound great, thanks. Injust wish they made them a tad longer to allow for ½" insulation. But these will do nonetheless.
suspension hangars or clamps are good for copper , they were pretty much exclusively used on copper for decades befor water piping became the normal .
agree standard clamps not good for insulation I dont see insulation 1/2 inch used just 3/4 or 1 inch.
you can just use a 2 inch j hook and drop a 1 inch insulated line inside no notching of insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks