Should I upgrade a Toto Ultimate to an Ultramax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mattisgrat

Reaction score
I’m in the process of redoing my hall bath upstairs and have the tiles in and soon to be grouted so I’m on to the toilet.

Based on the advice of the forum two of my other newer toilets are both Ultramax 1.6. This is a small 8x5 bath so I didn’t want to go with the elongated bowl as it makes access to the tub a bit more of a challenge.

I was about to order an Ultramax Round Front 853113S for the princely sum of $750 Canadian Pesos when I came across an environmentally friendly person selling a used 853113 Ultimate for all of fifty bucks because his wife wanted to use less water.

Suffices to say I now have a round front ultimate in my garage waiting for installation. I can confirm it’s an ultimate as it still has the original “Power Gravity” branded fill valve and the short overflow tube with a blue flapper.

I have read that it’s pretty simple to update the flush valve to the Gmax instead of power gravity. Should I bother or wait and see how the Ultimate flushes? It seems like if I want to do it later it is as simple as just undoing a couple of screws and popping it out right? There is no need to take the toilet off the flange or anything so there really is no rush to do it now?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I installed a bunch of Ultimate's in a church I go to. I would just install it and not worry it.
I also had one in the Bellevue home. I like trying different product so that I can write about them.

And yes, same porcelain, different flush valve in the tank.

Mattisgrat

Reaction score
I installed a bunch of Ultimate's in a church I go to. I would just install it and not worry it.
I also had one in the Bellevue home. I like trying different product so that I can write about them.

And yes, same porcelain, different flush valve in the tank.

Thanks Terry I had read about the Ultimates you installed at church a ways back. Glad to hear your opinion on them hasn’t changed. I’ll install it as is next week and if my 3 daughters can find ways to plug it then I’ll look at the upgrade flush.

thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks