Should I replace my toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Marc Skulnick

Reaction score
I just moved into a house and it has 1986 Briggs Toilets. They seem ok, but take about 45 seconds to flush. So far no clogs. Someone in HD said I should consider changing them out for the newer toilets with a faster flush, as it will save me money with water bills. So can someone please advise me if I should or should not replace them. Any thoughts??? I have 3 on order and want to cancel them if you think I should keep the present ones.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a client that owned several apartment buildings that we did plumbing / service work in over the course of years. We replaced all of their 3.5gpf toilets with TOTO's years ago when he said that they would pay for themselves within 5yrs worth of water/sewer bill savings. And that was with the added cost of having a plumbing company provide and install them.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, you hear a lot of complaining about how newer toilets don't flush well, but then we get customer after customer who moves into a place with the big old tanks, and instantly wants them replaced.

"They take forever to flush." "I don't think it flushes right." "You have to listen to them refill forever." "It's got no omph to it." Etc. Etc.

Modern toilets have improved dramatically since the early water-savers. I wouldn't go back at this point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks