Rear Exit toilet not fully flushing, SHORT run to vent stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gilligan8

Reaction score
So, I have a new to me home that the master bath had a rear exit toilet that flushed "ok". I assumed it didn't pull on the vacuum of the P-Trap due to the short run to the vent stack.
But now it seems to not be even getting close to pulling all the way down.
I'm posting a video (link) and a picture of the outside. The wall is like 10" thick, so keep that in mind with the picture you see and I'm aware that I need to protect the PEX from the elements... again, just moved in a few weeks ago and it's on the list of things to do (will likely replace them since I don't know how long they have been exposed to UV).

Attachments

• QMpvrvAPS2qLvJMxZDI4cw.jpeg
    QMpvrvAPS2qLvJMxZDI4cw.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 43

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you adjust the water level in the tank to go higher? If so try that.

It looks to me like there's no siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl on this toilet. This means all of the water needed to form a siphon needs to rush down from above and into the bowl through the rim jets. These tiny holes can become fully or partiality blocked over time. Try cleaning the holes with a tool and some vinegar also dumping some vinegar in the tank and cycling it a few times after you clean it.

Gilligan8

Reaction score
Can you adjust the water level in the tank to go higher? If so try that.

It looks to me like there's no siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl on this toilet. This means all of the water needed to form a siphon needs to rush down from above and into the bowl through the rim jets. These tiny holes can become fully or partiality blocked over time. Try cleaning the holes with a tool and some vinegar also dumping some vinegar in the tank and cycling it a few times after you clean it.
Ok, so I have a Briggs Vacuity system.

That is why there is no siphon jet in the bowl, it happens from the tank.

Now there is a special way to plunge this, and I have done that and I am still having the same issue.

It swirls pretty strongly but never really empties very strongly.

Any other ideas?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a Briggs Vacuity system.

That is why there is no siphon jet in the bowl, it happens from the tank.

Now there is a special way to plunge this, and I have done that and I am still having the same issue.

It swirls pretty strongly but never really empties very strongly.

Any other ideas?
Clean the holes, cool the tank completely, like I said.

Gilligan8

Reaction score
Ok... back.

Have not to clean it out but I did the next best thing.

I flushed it and poured over 4 gallons of water into the bowl at the same time, bringing the water level right up to the bottom of the rim.

Still just drained the water out and didn't draw down like a normal toilet would flush. I was able to pour it in pretty quickly so it's also not a clog, just no vacuum draw down. I do hear the air moving in the vacuum stand pipe thing so that isn't clogged either.

So it's not related to the volume of water being put in via the tank nor the ability to put water in fast enough via the holes under the rim.

I also added a cleanout right above that Y and before I put it I had the wife flush while I stood and watched. Water flowed very freely (and cleanly) we had a bit of toilet tissue in there and it just slowly spun and slinked it's way down like it always does. :(

Any other ideas?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the toilet taking all of the waste with it? Or is there waste being left behind?

Gilligan8

Reaction score
In case anyone finds this and is having the same problem, it was the gasket from the vacuity tube that wasn't sealing well.

Found a new one and replaced both gaskets between the tank and the bowel and it works now.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
In case anyone finds this and is having the same problem, it was the gasket from the vacuity tube that wasn't sealing well.

Found a new one and replaced both gaskets between the tank and the bowel and it works now.
These toilets aren't legal under the upc and I would guess because of that they are rare.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks