Sewer odor from bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

aouke

Reaction score
Hello all,
Long time reader, first time poster here.
I am having an issue that I cannot figure out on my own in my master bath of my new house.
The issue that I am having is that when I wake up in the morning and go to brush my teeth I get a puff of sewer gas "punching" me in the face when I run the water. After a few seconds of running the water the odor goes away but it is obviously awful, especially first thing in the morning.
After reading a number of posts here I was able to test and identify that the odor coming from the drain, rather than the water itself. I am assuming that it is an issue with the P trap set up improperly but not exactly sure how.
Attached are some images of what I am dealing with.

20180812_233510.jpg
20180812_233549.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!
-Dan

Reach4

Reaction score
Could it be that the cavity between the overflow and the drain area is making the smell? Could you maybe flush the area with a bleach solution?

If you dropped the U part of the trap, and sealed the bottom of the tailpiece with plastic and a rubber band, you could flood the sink to the rim with water that you have dosed with chlorine bleach. 1 tablespoon per gallon would be a nice strong solution. You would need to catch the water in a tub when you removed the plastic.

aouke

Reaction score
Could it be that the cavity between the overflow and the drain area is making the smell? Could you maybe flush the area with a bleach solution?

If you dropped the U part of the trap, and sealed the bottom of the tailpiece with plastic and a rubber band, you could flood the sink to the rim with water that you have dosed with chlorine bleach. 1 tablespoon per gallon would be a nice strong solution. You would need to catch the water in a tub when you removed the plastic.
It is possible. I have not ruled that out yet. Will try some things with that tonight.
Thanks for the tip!

papajohn

Reaction score
Hello all,
Long time reader, first time poster here.
I am having an issue that I cannot figure out on my own in my master bath of my new house.
The issue that I am having is that when I wake up in the morning and go to brush my teeth I get a puff of sewer gas "punching" me in the face when I run the water. After a few seconds of running the water the odor goes away but it is obviously awful, especially first thing in the morning.
After reading a number of posts here I was able to test and identify that the odor coming from the drain, rather than the water itself. I am assuming that it is an issue with the P trap set up improperly but not exactly sure how.
Attached are some images of what I am dealing with.

View attachment 48065 View attachment 48066

Any help is greatly appreciated!
-Dan

I have this same issue. Can you share some of the posts that enabled you to test and identify it was the P trap?

Reach4

Reaction score
Sewer gas would come from a drain. Try putting that first water into a bowl instead of down the drain. If you get a smell, it is from the water and not the drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The P-Trap there is correct assuming that the venting that goes back into the wall is done right.
Sometimes you can pick up smells from the cavity inside the bowl that is the overflow pathway. Some will pour some Clorox down the overflow to clean that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks