Sewer backups and high flow toilet help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

aalmeter

Reaction score
At present, I have 2 WCs, 1 shower, and 1 sink that all utilize a 3" copper waste.

The copper waste drops from the 2nd floor to the basement, where it has a 10 to 15 foot horizontal run. From there, it 90s down and ties into the main cast iron stack via a wye with a cleanout shortly upstream of the wye.

I've had the house for about a year, and we've had 3 backups from this line.

On the most recent go round, the last sewer cleaner did not tighten the cleanout cap tight enough (fortunately) so I noticed it dripping before the backup went all the way to the 2nd floor. There are obviously no branches in the basement or 1st floor.

The clog is always in the wye, and never has any foreign material. My guess is that solids and liquids are separating in the horizontal run, building up, and then finally heading down into the wye as one big slug of deliciousness.

By leaving the cleanout open and having my wife flush both toilets, it was noted that our most often used toilet has a much weaker flow than the other.

I'm going to confirm that the horizontal run is at 2%, but by eye it looks close. Assuming that this is not an issue, I think my next course of action is to replace the toilet.

1) Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

2) What's the best toilet for this situation. Tall and elongated are preferred.

Reach4

Reaction score
The clog is always in the wye, and never has any foreign material. My guess is that solids and liquids are separating in the horizontal run, building up, and then finally heading down into the wye as one big slug of deliciousness.
Post a photo of that area of piping.

1) Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

2) What's the best toilet for this situation. Tall and elongated are preferred.
#1, it is not reasonable to think that a better-flushing toilet is going to fix your problem IMO (I am not a plumber). For now, try flushing once before starting the paperwork, and again after. Let's hope the photo shows something.
#2 A better-flushing toilet is nice. Looking for just function, or are you wanting to spend extra for some other thing like looks?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many of the new toilets using 1.28 gallons have larger flush valves that dump the water much quicker. And you have the option of holding the handle down and draining the entire tank if needed. You can get more whoosh on the new ones than the old large tank models that slowly meter out the water.

You may have something wrong with the pipe and fittings though. A 3" or 4" line should be passing things for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks