SanitaS Trap, How does it work

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Magee

Reaction score
MEP engineer here came across one of these traps on a jobsite, just curious if anyone has a cut-away, or can describe how they work. I have only seen photos of the jobsite so far, but there does not appear to be a vent.

santitas.jpg

sanitas-trap-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From its design, I would expect it to be installed horizontally, with the "bell" down. You would have ot remove the cover to see what is inside.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/14591029150/

Copied from the above page.
Text Appearing Before Image:

130 THE SANITARY INSPECTOR, of water through the soil pipe from other closets adjacent or overheadcreates a partial vacuum in the pipe, and tends to draw the water outof a shallow seal trap. I have in ray bath room a water-closet thatformerly when used, not infrequently destroyed the seal of an adjacentcloset, wash-stand and bath-tub. This difficulty is met by venting thetraps against syphonage, and may be accomplished in various ways.By reference to Figure 10 and to Figure 13 you will observe a 3pipe extending from the crown of the trap of the lower closet to apoint above the upper closet, where it enters the soil pipe, it is alsoone of the methods shown in Figure 13. Its office is to preventsyphonage of the lower trap when the upper closet sends a volley of

Text Appearing After Image:

Fig. 15. Sanitas Trap. water past it, but it may be left to safely perform that office onlywhen of large size and very direct and short. I have convinced my-self by experiments of the insufficiency of back-venting |^raps throughlong lines of pipe and, after testing them under many actual andsupposable conditions. I now, for the most part, place my trust inthe non-syphoning trap called the Sanitas^ shown in Fig. 15, and inthe common S traps with the McLellan air inlet applied to it, shownin detail in Figures 16, 17 and 18. The Sanitas trap is practically an S trap with cup-like reservoir onone side, in which is a thin partial division wall with a curved sur-face. In resisting syphonage the water is arrested by being thrownup against the wall, and thence is reflected back to restore the sealafter the air desired to fill the vacuum has passed on. It is practicallynon-syphoning and self-cleansing. The common S trap with Mc-Lellan air inlet on it is simply a method of stopping the syphonic

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks