Retrofit old style Pfister 3 handle with newer valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd Jack

Reaction score
Hey all- is there any truth to the rumor that I can put ceramic h/c valves into my pp (I think 001-31xa) rough in (verve/Windsor?) 3handle tub shower tub controls? If the diverter can be changed out would it by any chance have anti scald tech? Is spooling the correct term for a temp balancing valve? I see posts here and there that allude to the procedure with talk of removing the seats. Anyone? If this isn’t a reality then I will just replace the three valves and move on well aware of the scalding possibilities thanks.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Get a Delta shower body with integral stops pressure or temperature balance and be very,very careful with the low flow shower heads

r10000-with-stops.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It can be done, I have done it innumerable times, but if done incorrectly you can ruin the faucet body, which is why I do not "coach"people about it over the Internet. It does NOT give any pressure balancing benefits.

Todd Jack

Reaction score
It can be done, I have done it innumerable times, but if done incorrectly you can ruin the faucet body, which is why I do not "coach"people about it over the Internet. It does NOT give any pressure balancing benefits.
Thanks so much for the info, I am assuming the danger to the body is in cracking the thin seat web by running a valve too deeply into the body. I had been hoping that a balancing function would be inherent in the newer style diverter, without that the benefits of newer style valves are less attractive. Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lots of companies make a remodel plate, so you do have numerous choices of size, style, and finishes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks